Industry Standard

Nick Norton

Finally getting my hands on a Canon 1014xls, i find it time to invest in a light meter.

I have been thinking about getting the Spectra IV, supposedly the 'industry standard'

However, i would like to have a spot meter as well so i could really understand the light values i am shooting to get an idea of what the image will look like before i see it developed.

I also shoot 35mm photography, and was wondering if anyone knew if the Spectra IV can read shutter speeds and not just fps.

Anyone have any advice on the light meter i should be investing in?

Thanks-

Nicholas

Check the internal spot meter first. Because it is already calibrated for the exact shutter speed settings... and especially the loss from the beam splitter (which i have yet to see anyone post a dead accurate beam splitter compensation) The XLS also has a compensation dial +/- 1/3 stops up to one stop. there is really no film speed that can not be accurately metered with that model. You can meter very convieniantly with the internal spot, lock your exposure down with the exposure lock and still be able to tweak it manually.