Just curious about film latitude. Besides vision 3 where do most stocks hit there white point where detail is lost? I know 4 stops both ways with vision 2 so does that mean no detail is recorded at 3 to 4 stops over? Or after 4 stops you lose your image.

Thanks.

I know that things of different reflectance will blow out/darker faster then others, but I'm just talking in general. Pretty much things that fall close to middle grey, do they blow out at 4 over?

Quick side question so vision 2 has about 4 stops and 3 has 5. Just want to make sure.

• Premium Member
And then suggest a way in which the instructions on the registration page could be written more clearly...........

Require that the registrant submit a certificate that they have successfully completed a "Reading is Fundamental" course?

First, I'd recommend reading up on sensitometry and characteristic curves. You can find find information online, or there's some great information in Cinematography: Theory and Practice by Blain Brown; Practical Cinematography by Paul Wheeler; or Cinematography by Kris Malkiewicz and cinematography.com powerhouse M. David Mulllen, ASC. After that, you can go right to Kodak, or Fuji, or anyone's site and look at their technical data... then you'll be able to find the latitude of any film stock you want. They even make it slightly easier, and you can read them in "Camera Stops" instead of "Log Exposure."

post-11421-1205166225.gif