Arri II C pakage: help with price.

danyoung

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a IIC package. it comes with everything but the batteries. It has been well cared for, owned by a upstanding community member, i just shot a test with it and am waiting for the results... The asking price is $7900, i think it is a little bit much. The package has been advertised for at least 4 months and has just been sitting around.

Apparently, the seller says that some one is offering $4500 for the lens set, not including the 9mm, which i can't believe. Apparently there are adapters to put the lenses on a red camera How much are these lenses worth? they have been used but the glass is spotless. The 85mm prime is older and doesn't match the set.

Thanks for your help!

Dan....

------------

Arri IIC camera with turret for Arri standard, Arri bayonet, + Nikon mount

Cine 60 offset flatbase c/w Level 7 variable speed motor + Arri constant speed motor

3 x 400' 2C magazines with loop protectors

3 lens body caps, Periscope viewfinder

Y cable for 2 NP1s or other 12v batteries, 2x NP1 to XLR adapter, Eight pin to XLR cord

3? XLR extension, Two pin to XLR cord, Two pin to two pin (for battery belts)

Screwdriver (for motor change), Mag body cap

Matte box (takes 3x3 filters)

Hi Hat (to use camera on tripod when in handheld mode)

Transport Case

Zeiss 16mm 2.4 lens, 2 caps, clear filter

Zeiss 24mm 2.2 lens, 2 caps, clear filter

Zeiss 32mm 2.2 lens, 2 caps, clear filter

Zeiss 50mm 2.2 lens, 2 caps, clear filter

Zeiss 85mm 2.2 lens, 2 caps, clear filter

4 follow focus rings for primes

Filters for prime lenses: (49mm) 85, ND3, ND6, Polarizer

Kinoptik 9.8mm lens c/w 2 caps, sunshade

Adapter ring to take 4.5? filters at front

Filters 2?x 2? for 9.8mm Kinoptik Lens (Internal): 85, 85B, 85N3, 85N6, N6

• Premium Member

Dan,

One of the downsides of the RED camera and the way it has been promoted is that it has caused a feeding frenzy for 35mm glass. Zeiss Super Speed Prime lens sets that were selling for $7500 a year ago are going for nearly $30,000 today, for the exact same lenses.

It's absolutely ridiculous, but when a product is hyped as much as the RED camera has been, the people who jump on board the "hype train" have a tendency to allow their enthusiasm to get the best of them. And the feeding frenzy for the camera and the need for glass for the camera, makes them desperate and competitive and their fighting over the existing glass runs the price up through the roof. So I am not surprised that the individual who is selling the camera package is being offered $4500 for that lens set.

That being said, you have to decide what the camera package is worth to you. Look at the test you shot. How does the glass perform? How does the camera perform? How is the registration? When was the last time the camera was serviced? The IIC is a wet lube camera, so it needs a complete overhaul every four years, whether it has been used alot, or just sat on a shelf, the lubricant dries up. And what are you planning on using the camera for? The package you described is not crystal sync, and crystal sync motors for the IIC are getting tougher and tougher to find, and therefore more and more expensive. Is that going to be an issue?

And remember, it is pretty much a buyer's market for motion picture cameras right now (sellers don't want you to know that), but with all the prosumer HD cameras on the market, the value of motion picture cameras keep falling. All things to keep in mind.

Best of luck with whatever you decide,

-Tim

• Premium Member

How about $3400 for everything that the lens buyer doesn't want? Maybe talk that price down a little? Do you have other glass already? Would it make sense to hold the camera until the lens bubble bursts, and then pick up some glass?

-- J.S.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I got mine for $4200, or thereabouts.

What does a "full package" contain? I have a couple of mags, some batteries, a matte box and one or two other odds and ends. I was offered some Zeiss lenses with a different 2C package which I also bought, but turned them down because they weren't well kept (pock marked, and in desperate need of cleaning). The guy offering them only wanted $500--no surprise considering their condition.

Other than that the camera works fine. All the moving parts work and so forth. $7,900 seems bit steep, but that depends on what it comes with.