Aaton XTR camera

ericyeong

Hi, I'm planning to buy an S16 Aaton XTR for a documentary project.. besides the f.p.s., what other functions that this camera doesn't has compare to XTR-Prod? Is there any speed control unit available for this XTR instead of the preset speed?? Anyone has experience using and owning this camera? How's the reliability and durability compare to SR2 camera? Thanks for your advice....

• Premium Member
Hi, I'm planning to buy an S16 Aaton XTR for a documentary project.. besides the f.p.s., what other functions that this camera doesn't has compare to XTR-Prod? Is there any speed control unit available for this XTR instead of the preset speed?? Anyone has experience using and owning this camera? How's the reliability and durability compare to SR2 camera? Thanks for your advice....

Assuming you are talking about an XTR plus....?

You will only have external speed control using an external device like a psc, otherwise it's only the preset speeds. At least you have more of a choice compared to an SR2.

Mag ID is only to three letters. I think it's 7 or 8 on the prod.

Viewfinder glow only on the x-prod.

Adjustable shutter only on the prod.

Built in phase control only on xprod. Can be done externally of course.

Viewfinder heating wasn't standard but might have been optioned up on your xtr.

The prod has a user interchangeable GG.

The prod display's battery voltage in the display.

The prod display's and set's ISO using the jog wheel/display.

I used to work at a rental company that had both arri's and aaton's both SR2's, 3's adavnced and xprod's, pluses and LTR's.

Everyone think's the germans are the better at engineering and build, but across the board the Aaton's were less to maintain in terms of regularity and cost of parts etc. Not that they were perfect mind you. There's also a lot more variation on even the same model's depending on what your serial number is (just like that other new digital cinema camera company)

They'll be even better as an owner operator camera. Pretty hard to go wrong with an XTR. They're a great camera and awesome to handhold as well. Hence being the camera of choice for doco work.

and...oh yeah..they both do Aatoncode. The sr2 doesn't.

jb

Edited by John Brawley

• Premium Member
Everyone think's the germans are the better and engineering, but across the board the Aaton's were less to maintain in terms of regularity and cost of parts etc.

Don't know the situation in Australia, but here in the States, an overhaul of an SR2 by ARRI (a major overhaul, the kind done every four years or so) done by the ARRI factory guys (based on a quote from them) is in the ballpark of $1600, whereas an overhaul of an XTRPlus (a major overhaul, the kind done every four years or so) done by Abel Cine Tech, the Aaton factory guys (based on a quote from them) is in the ballpark of $2200.

If you have a properly serviced XTRPlus, my experience is it will be quieter than a properly service SR2, and the Aaton is quite a bit more comfortable to handhold compared to the ARRI.

Both good solid reliable cameras though, and if you are using it in fairly adverse conditions, I think the ARRI is probably a bit more "bullet proof".

Best,

-Tim

Hi John,

Do you know where I could get the 'psc' unit that you've mentioned? Is there anybody in Australia could modified this camera to run up to 75fps? And reset the preset speeds? Serial number is 1667, is this a Plus model? Have come across or use these Aaton camera with the Etkon color flickerfree video tap before? I've attached photos link of this camera that I wanted to purchase, would you mind take a look and tell me is this a 'plus' model or something else..?

aaton xtr-photo 1

aaton xtr-photo 2

Regards,

Eric

• Premium Member
Hi John,

Do you know where I could get the 'psc' unit that you've mentioned? Is there anybody in Australia could modified this camera to run up to 75fps? And reset the preset speeds? Serial number is 1667, is this a Plus model? Have come across or use these Aaton camera with the Etkon color flickerfree video tap before? I've attached photos link of this camera that I wanted to purchase, would you mind take a look and tell me is this a 'plus' model or something else..?

aaton xtr-photo 1

aaton xtr-photo 2

Regards,

Eric

Looking at the photo's, especially the older style run switch, and the fact that it doesn't sound like it goes to 75 FPS, then it may be a regular XTR. i didn't think there were very many built compared with the XTR Plus.

Is the top preset speed 54 FPS ?

Im not the one to ask about getting t modified to go faster. Where abouts are you located ? Your best bet is to find an Aaton agent. The PSC is only a controller. You have to have a camera that can actually go that fast.

jb

Edited by John Brawley

• Premium Member
Is the top preset speed 54 FPS ?

Yes, top speed is 54fps... I'm from Malaysia.. Thanks for your help John..

Ah. Then it sounds like you have a regular XTR or maybe an XO which i think was the same but didn't have the timecode option.

There is a Malaysian Aaton agent so maybe you can get in touch with them.

It may be possible to upgrade it to an XTR plus, but it may not be for the $$ you would spend.

TRANS ASIAN & AMERICAN FILMS & CINEMA

7, Tingkat Taman Ipoh - 10

Perak

31400 Ipoh

Tel : 605 545 7113

Fax : 605 547 7873

Let me know how you go.

jb

Edited by John Brawley