Does HVX200E shoot 24p in 1080i?

Ismail Jamaludin

Hey fellas',

I've been toying with my friend's HVX200 and we've been trying to figure out how to shoot 24p in 1080i. Sorry if this is such a noob question, but keep in mind I've only touched the beautiful thing once.

So does it shoot in 24p in 1080i?

Cheers,

Ismail.

• 1 month later...
no it only shoots 720 in 24p the p stands for progressive video. and the "i" at the end on 1080i stands for interlaced video.

Actually it does shoot 24p 1080i as ridiculous as the nomenclature has become. In much the same way that progressive material is stored on a format like digi-beta each frame is split across two fields which are temporally the same. Also I believe only the NTSC version of the camera shoots 24p, if you're in a PAL territory you might be up a creek (although it will do 25p). Its hidden in one of the hundreds of mindless and poorly labeled menus. For my money I would shoot 720p as it opens up the other functions of the camera. Good luck...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Personally I would go with the 24P/720, but that's my experience with the camera.

I believe the PA is intended for going back out to film or working with other 24Pa material (it's a 3:2:2:3 pull down in Pa as opposed to a 3:2:3:2 iirc)

• 2 weeks later...

I've read that recording in 1080 modes gives you less compression artifacts than the 720 modes, so if you have the hard drive space, I'd use the 1080i 24PA mode.

I have to agree that the name for it does sound pretty screwed up hehe.