Mystery Ballast Mains Cable Needed...

M Joel W

Hi,

I need to find a mains cable for an old ballast made by an out-of-business company...and don't know where to begin. Does this look familiar to anyone? I've heard it may be the same as quartzcolor and/or cmc/cinemills.

Thanks,

-Matt

post-10185-1208561523.jpg

I took the ballast apart and it seems to be a pretty simple construction. I think I may dremel out the case and replace this part with a 3-pin shroud connector. Good idea? Safe?

Anyone who has used quartzcolor or cinemills: is this definitely different from what you've used? I don't want to mess with anything if I don't have to.

Is this ballast made for use in Europe and other 220v countries? What is the input voltage supposed to be? What would you replace the connector with? The connector should match up with the voltage and current specifications of the ballast.

Is this ballast made for use in Europe and other 220v countries? What is the input voltage supposed to be? What would you replace the connector with? The connector should match up with the voltage and current specifications of the ballast.

14 amps at 117 volts. (It says +/-10% so I'm going to go ahead and assume it will work with 110V power). I was going to replace it with the input cable most monitors and computers take, but maybe I should get something a bit uhh...more powerful? I will probably have a shop do it since the capacitors may be charged and I don't know how to discharge them safely.

You would have to do some measuring, to see if there is enough clearance inside, but this should work:

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/catal...es/Page-A23.pdf

If your not familiar or comfortable with performing any electrical wiring, you probably could have a electronics repair shop install the inlet. But it is really a simple task.