35mm training

George Ebersole

• Premium Member

I'm looking to get trained on Arri III, IV or Panavision cameras. Can anybody reccomend a good school for this?

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, but am willing to travel.

Thanks much for any reply.

For Arri stuff just make friends with dudes over at Utterbach. They're got all the Arri gear that you'd want to learn except for the Arricam line. They're good guys all around and if you're nice to them they're nice to you.

For Panavision you can either wait for their gear to make it up here on a project you're on or go down to LA and stop by either of their two locations. Like Utterbach and every rental house I've ever been to the guys are always nice provided you go in with a good attitude. Staying humble and making it clear that these rental house people have valuable knowledge that you're genuinely interested in is key, a sense of humor never hurts either. Rental houses would rather have people out there that know how to use their stuff properly rather than break it by accident.

Last word of advice is learn in steps. You can't possibly expect to have a tech train you completely on a whole camera system in one visit, they have jobs to do. So maybe the first couple times you go in there have them train you on the mags. Then spend some time practicing and chatting. Also, its always good to read manuals before hand so you're familiar in theory.

• Premium Member

Between 89 and 93 I used to pick up gear from Gasser's, Cinerent and Lee Utterbach's place all the time. But since Gassers and Cinerent both shut down their motion picture operations long ago I wasn't sure Lee Utterbach was still around.

I'll look into it. Thanks much.

Edited by George Ebersole

• 1 month later...

hi, we have a workshop of cinematography in 35mm But in Italy! if you like to travel and visit Italy, pls check our web site: http://www.cecov.it/altricorsi-en.html

our courses are in our studios and motion picture lab, so every student learn about post-production too, developing, printing, telecine, audio registration,...

good luck

Michelle

I'm looking to get trained on Arri III, IV or Panavision cameras. Can anybody reccomend a good school for this?

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, but am willing to travel.

Thanks much for any reply.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

does anyone know of somewhere similar to this in the Orlando, FL area? I've only ever worked in DV and HDV (and 35mm still) and am dying to get some hands on with film cameras and learn everything I can.

I think Panavision FLorida is down near Universal Studios, should I just go there and ask around?

Edited by John Hoffler

does anyone know of somewhere similar to this in the Orlando, FL area? I've only ever worked in DV and HDV (and 35mm still) and am dying to get some hands on with film cameras and learn everything I can.

I think Panavision FLorida is down near Universal Studios, should I just go there and ask around?

If you're going to go let me know. I know some of the people there and can introduce you to the right folk. And it's not near Universal, it's IN Universal, right on the property.

Maybe you should give Panavision Florida a call? Or Panavision Orlando, whatever they're called. ...The Panavision in Orlando, Florida! Most rental houses are happy to show off their gear, I would just avoid calling on a busy day (Monday or Friday).

UCLA extension offers a class called "Arriflex Certification for Camera Assistants" every summer, I took it in 2004, u get hands on training with all the ARRI cameras including the Arricam line. I highly recommend it.

• 4 weeks later...

this may be a bit late but possibly useful - I recently graduated from UNLV and our cinematography professor is Michele Hugo asc and through his connections I was lucky enough to learn to shoot on a Panaflex 16mm elaine and panaflex 35mm G2. 16mm in the fall and 16mm and 35mm in the spring semesters. Tuition is relatively inexpensive comparatively speaking and one can learn a great deal. Also you get to go on a work shop to Mole-Richardsons. hope this helps

Edited by giap vu

• Premium Member

Thanks. I've worked around Arris and Panaflex, and have done some poking around their innards, but I've never operated one in a professional capacity. I was wondering if there was a certification program somewhere. Something like Sony has down in silicon valley.

SF State offers training on Bolex, Arri 16 and Panavision Elaine cameras, but that's strictly for grad students.

I'll figure something out. Thanks for the reply.