Be careful - Ebay auction

Hans Engstrom

• Premium Member

Looks pretty suspect. That picture is from an auction a year or so ago. And when you look at the seller's feedback, he buys dog stuff and collectable toys. Nothing to do with cameras. Probably a scammer who hijacked the seller's account.

Best,

-Tim

Tim,

You're definitely right, that pic is from a pkg deal that was for sale on ebay in late 2006. Definitely a scam. I'm thinking some of us around here ought to start a small "mini-database" of old cameras that come up for sale on ebay so we can cross-reference them when they look "too familiar" :lol:

Tim,

You're definitely right, that pic is from a pkg deal that was for sale on ebay in late 2006. Definitely a scam. I'm thinking some of us around here ought to start a small "mini-database" of old cameras that come up for sale on ebay so we can cross-reference them when they look "too familiar" :lol:

That would be a cool idea. I usually ask the seller a bunch of questions that they atleast have to work a little to get the answers for. Here is the answer that this seller sent me with the classic "if your interested let me know". If he would be legit he would wait for my bid or say something that if there´s anything more don´t hesitate to ask.

--------------------------------

Hi there,

I'm very sorry but I don't now what speeds are crystal governed.....shipping will be around 50.00 GB Pounds

If you are interested and serious please let me know..

With all respect!

John

--------------------------------

I wonder how many people that get scammed on Ebay every day, it must be hundreds if not thousands.

• Premium Member

I've asked sellers in the past to post a new photo of the gear on a current newspaper (showing the date) to prove they have possession of the item. In one case the sale turned out legit, in another the crook pasted up a copy of one of the stolen eBay photos on a current newspaper and took a new photo. :(

• Premium Member

Since we are warning people about eBay auctions for Arriflex IIC cameras on this thread, I thought I would add the following:

Arriflex-2C

The auction lists the camera having a "Standard Full Frame Gate..." I have not seen the camera in the auction, but last year I bought a IIC from this same seller and he listed that camera as having a "Full Frame Gate..... Full Frame covers the entire film plane... Any format you choose can be telecined from a full frame gate... the number one choice of gates among Professional Camera Directors."

Well the camera arrived with a standard Academy Gate. When I contacted the seller, he tried to tell me that the standard Academy Gate is the same thing as a Full Frame Gate. I explained to him the difference but he refused to refund my money. In my almost ten years of working in and around the motion picture camera business, I have never run into anyone who was as much of a nightmare to deal with as this guy. Wish someone had warned me about him before I sent him my money.

Best,

-Tim

...I have never run into anyone who was as much of a nightmare to deal with as this guy. Wish someone had warned me about him before I sent him my money.

Best,

-Tim

Did you happen to put in feedback on this guy on Ebay? If there is enough negative feedback then sometimes that makes a difference.

• Premium Member

Although there are plenty of scams on Ebay, they are usually pretty easy to spot. This particular auction doesn't fit the usualy scam pattern, and I wouldn't be so sure it's a fraud. He lists serial numbers, doesn't give an outside e-mail address for contact, and had a reserve price (which wasn't even met). Scammers don't tend to fit that pattern, and don't tend to use reserve prices along with PayPal accounts. If you send an e-mail to the listed account, it should go to the person named in the account, and that's usually the surest way to determine if the listing is for real.

• Premium Member

I should have been more clear. What I was warning people about was the way the camera gate was mis-represented in the auction for the camera I purchased from this seller, and how the seller handled the situation. I was not saying the auction was a fraud. My experience with the seller showed me that he listed things that were false in his auction, and then would not make good on the listing.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member
I should have been more clear. What I was warning people about was the way the camera gate was mis-represented in the auction for the camera I purchased from this seller, and how the seller handled the situation. I was not saying the auction was a fraud. My experience with the seller showed me that he listed things that were false in his auction, and then would not make good on the listing.

Best,

-Tim

Tim, I was referring to the auction that was linked to the original post in the thread. If, in your case, the seller was being misleading, that would constitute a fraud.

• Premium Member
Since we are warning people about eBay auctions for Arriflex IIC cameras on this thread, I thought I would add the following:

Too bad. It looks like he might have one of the original Luftwaffe green magazines.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Hi Tim,

About 7 years ago when I was looking for an MOS camera I found the sellers website, I was quite impressed with what he had to offer but bought a camera direct from Digital Domain for less money (on Ebay).

Stephen