Goin eSata on a Macbook Pro

Jeremy Drake

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've heard good things about Sonnet Technologies' Fusion F2, paired with their Tempo SATA ExpressCard/34 or Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34. eSATA makes a significant difference in file transfer speeds (as to be expected). It also frees up the firewire bus for Audio/Video devices.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
estata is faster than firewire 800, if you have a fast hard drive with esata port you can run HD uncompressed footage with it and with a firewire 800 you cant do that.

bye!

GT

Hi this is misleading. you cannot run uncompressed HD on anything less than a decent raid. true you can raid a load of drives together via an esata connection, but not on a macbook. i have a esata card for my macbook and it is fine for accessing drives with esata ports but it is slower than firewire 800. this is a fact. esata is only faster when working with a series of drives raided and if you are going to raid a load of drives together then you will not be in the realms of portability, so raided drives should be kept to a tower system.

• Premium Member

I don't think you could do full HD even with a big RAID attached to a single SATA channel, unless it's the more recent 3Gb/sec variant. Then you probably could, if you were happy to connect your macbook to a chunky external RAID.

But I don't get it. What is it with mac laptops? Everyone buys a mac laptop because "that's what you get" and then panics about how they're going to turn it into a high performance edit bay, it's crazy.

P

But I don't get it. What is it with mac laptops? Everyone buys a mac laptop because "that's what you get" and then panics about how they're going to turn it into a high performance edit bay, it's crazy.

Not to start trouble. But the rare times I use a Windows notebook it makes me appreciate when I get back to my MacBook Pro.

I agree with you on the unrealistic expectation of turning it into an HD edit bay. Everything about a portable is a compromise, which is what makes it portable.