Artifact in the sun

Alex Worster

On feature I'm ACing we were shooting some "beauty" shots using a lot of backlight. In one particular shoot when we pointed the RED at the sun we get this sweet red and black circle/artifact in the middle of the sun. I think I remember reading that this may have something to do with the rolling shutter or something, maybe not. Is it correctable in camera or is that just something you have to live with and fix in post? Also, could this potentially happen if there is a nice bright light bulb in the shot?

Sorry if this has been answered before, I looked but couldn't find it. Thanks for your help.

I guess not because we're using build 15. I told them (director and DP) that it doesn't seem that it would be too hard to fix in post. I hope I don't get mean emails from the editor and f/x guys for opening my big mouth.

• Premium Member
I thought they'd fixed that black sun, there's been no talk about it on REDUser recently.

I gather people have been fixing it in post.

No it's still there unfortunately. It has to be something that is massively intensely hot. A regular prac light in shot hasn't done it yet for me. It seems to happen with point sources. In truth, it's only happened to me when the sun has been in the frame. It was easily fixed, but still....it had to be fixed in post.

jb