How to Recycle BETA SP tape stock?

JD Marlow

Hi everyone,

I have a large batch of old Betacam SP tapes that were used for jobs of the past. Now I no longer need them and they are cluttering up my office space. Anyone have an idea as to the best way of recycling them? I don't want to just chuck them in the garbage.

-JD

• Premium Member
I have a large batch of old Betacam SP tapes that were used for jobs of the past. Now I no longer need them and they are cluttering up my office space. Anyone have an idea as to the best way of recycling them? I don't want to just chuck them in the garbage.

Hm, best give them away to some young video/filmmakers who are in need of tape stock? I mean, these are normally reusable after erasing them. Or some non-profit that does its own films... don't know which ones do that... Greenpeace?

Cheers, Dave

Hm, best give them away to some young video/filmmakers who are in need of tape stock? I mean, these are normally reusable after erasing them. Or some non-profit that does its own films... don't know which ones do that... Greenpeace?

Cheers, Dave

Thanks Dave.

If I were to erase the tapes -- what's the best way? Just Black them and record over the whole thing with a blank screen? How many times can a Beta SP tape be used effectively before real generation loss?

-JD

• Premium Member
If I were to erase the tapes -- what's the best way? Just Black them and record over the whole thing with a blank screen? How many times can a Beta SP tape be used effectively before real generation loss?

I'll pass those on to the experts. But AFAIK recording black would be a good start. And a generation loss is what happens when you dupe analog material, so I guess you can't really speak of that here. Reusing the tapes two or three times shouldn't be much of a problem I guess. The stuff is pretty durable after all. I just wouldn't use them as camera tapes! :D

Cheers, Dave

Depending on how many tapes youre talking about I'd be weary of recording black onto them.

1) It will be time consuming and dull...

... and 2) It will add valuable hours to your tape heads. Dont want that SP dying just yet!

A few should be fine but i wouldnt want the job of blacking 100 or so. Is there client sensitive material on the tapes, and if not do they really need to be erased or could they just be passed on?

As David said a college or community programme would benefit greatly from them... or the classifieds section of this site as long as someones willing to pay postage.

Edited by Ollie Bartlett

• Premium Member
Depending on how many tapes youre talking about I'd be weary of recording black onto them.

1) It will be time consuming and dull...

... and 2) It will add valuable hours to your tape heads. Dont want that SP dying just yet!

Yep, that would be the case. But thinking about this, any really strong magnet should do the trick. Just put your tape in close proximity and check whether the data is gone. I think that's the way the pro tape erasers do it as well. Just keep that magnet away from other sensitive stuff!

Cheers, Dave

Yep, that would be the case. But thinking about this, any really strong magnet should do the trick. Just put your tape in close proximity and check whether the data is gone. I think that's the way the pro tape erasers do it as well. Just keep that magnet away from other sensitive stuff!

Cheers, Dave

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll have to think about what to actually do, considering the material on the tapes. The tapes are B-Roll from Car Manufacturers that I edit short online spots for. Since I no longer need the source footage I've just been building up piles of tapes that I no longer need. It would be nice to be able to sell them off...I'm not really sure who would benefit from having old car manufacturer B-Roll on Betacam SP tapes.

-JD