Greatest closing shots

Dan Goulder

Guest Billy Furnett

Not the greatest or even close, but I like the end of the Exorcist:

Serene day , Mercedes carrying Regan recedes into the distance, and our perspective is left near the house and steps where Father Karris leapt to his death after commanding the Devil to enter him and leave the girl.

The farther away the car gets, the more subtly the camera becomes less of a shot, and more and more a dawning sub-textual personal position the audience is in, in close proximity to perhaps the Devil aloof in dappled sunlight looking for a new host.

(The notion of evil in broad daylight is powerful.)

I admire the direction preying upon the viewer?s post story emotional fragility, like a dissolve back into tension which seeps through the veneer of happy ending.

It invokes in me the desire to bail and not look back, yet the camera just lingers.

Not the greatest or even close, but I like the end of the Exorcist:

Excellent choice! The old version, not the new.

The way I always see the ending of the Exorcist, is that off in the distance, you can see much of the city going about the normal existence, totally detached and oblivious to the supernatural hell that occurred in that old brownstone. That ending has stuck with me.

The new version kind of sucks.

Excellent.

Guest Billy Furnett

Joe,

You are right, I took far too much memory paraphrasing liberty recounting the ending.

The car is brief in driving off, it?s the boarded window and the steps leading down and traffic on the bridge that closes it, with that feeling.

the end of citizen Kane. the shot we discover what is "rosebud'

Not the last shot. It is followed by an image of Xanadu with smoke pouring from the chimney. The camera cranes down (all done on an optical printer mind you) to bring in a gated entry with a large letter "K" on it. This mimicks a shot (actually a series of shots) from the film's opening. In that series, Kane's window is aleays in the exact same spot in the frame (again, done on the Oxberry).