Filter combinations

I am trying to get a film look using the JVC GY-110 HD camera and was wondering if you are able to use a low contrast filter in conjunction with a promist without any ill effects ?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Define 'Film Look' & 'Ill Effects'

A low contrast filter will give you a 'flatter image', but will have no effect on the actual latitude of the camera. A Pro-Mist will soften the picture, and, if it's a white pro-mist, raise the shadow areas a little.

What look are you trying to achieve?

i agree with Chris. also composition will add to film look.

but there are a few things you can dowith camera. first try to work with the most open f/stop to get shallow DOF and use long and of the lens. (as much as you can)

i like to work with net behind the lens, (black 15denir) this will lower the detail and soft the pic. but to me it look like it affect more the out of focus area then the subject in focus.

one more thing work with camera progressive.

Edited by Ram Shani

• Premium Member

Filters and filter combinations are a matter of taste, and in video, they're cheap and easy to test. Go ahead and shoot every filter and combination you can think of, then look at the results both on typical TV sets and in a good front projection room. Slate carefully, keep plenty of notes.

Bottom line, as a cinematographer, you have to trust what you see, not what we write. ;-)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
i agree with Chris. also composition will add to film look.

but there are a few things you can dowith camera. first try to work with the most open f/stop to get shallow DOF and use long and of the lens. (as much as you can)

i like to work with net behind the lens, (black 15denir) this will lower the detail and soft the pic. but to me it look like it affect more the out of focus area then the subject in focus.

one more thing work with camera progressive.

Which video cameras do you tend to use when putting a net behind the lens?

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Walter brings up a good point. Many cameras can be adjusted to give a picture more like what film would in a situation. For somewhere to start, you will generally be adjusting the knee settings as far round as possible. The sharpening and detail coring will be going down, as will the chroma most likely. I know that's vague but it's only a place to start your tests.