Slow Motion

Korhan20

Hey everyone,

If i am shooting in the 24p mode with this camera, what is the best route to take in order to achieve a good looking slow motion effect. I know in premiere i can just slow it down but then it gets all choppy. I've heard of programs that add frames or something to make the slow mo a lot cleaner and better looking. Any ideas?

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

You can get effects that ghost the frames together, but it's not exactly a true slow motion effect. With 24p you really are limited.

• Premium Member

Switch the camera from 24P to 60i, then in post, convert 60i to 60P by making each field into a frame. You get a true 60 fps slow-motion effect when played back as 24P footage (because at 60i, you were capturing motion 60 times per second, only as fields, not frames). You do lose some vertical resolution but it doesn't look as bad as you'd think.

Thank you very much for the feedback David. Do you know how to convert each field to a frame in Premiere Pro 1.5? And when I do this, will it be editing 24p footage with 60p footage? Because you said 60p played back as 24p footage, and i don't think i completely understand that.

If your action is slow enough and you'd like to slow it down even more, you can go with Bob deinterlacing and frame blending for even more flexibility.

120fps isn't so bad when you construct frames as so:

1, 1+2, 2, 2+3, 3, 3+4, 4, 4+5, 5, 5+6... 59, 59+60, 60.

And then of course, there's always motion interpolation software (which, if you use, would use after Bob deinterlacing and before frame blending), where you can gain another double framerate, to end up with 240fps.

However, your footage needs to be extremely clean and a little slow right off the bat if you want the 240fps to look alright.

But you can't go wrong with 60i --> 60P --> 24fps, since all the data was already there to begin with. The only thing interpolated were the extra lines of resolution needed for the Bob deinterlacing stage.

• 1 year later...
Guest matthew david burton

You need to use twixtor it's the best thing since sliced bread. You can get the twixtor plugin for premier but it works best in after effects.

Twixtor will inteligently add in frames using motion vectors, it's verry fancey stuff indeed.

I will post some examples up soon.

-matt

• 1 month later...