arri bl16 sync sound

petersant

hi all,

I am currently using a arriflex 16bl and am looking to purchase a recorder which will run with crystal sync. Is there any suggestions as to what I should purchase? I have found a sony WM D6 but not sure if this is compatible.

please help!!!

cheers

• Premium Member
hi all,

I am currently using a arriflex 16bl and am looking to purchase a recorder which will run with crystal sync. Is there any suggestions as to what I should purchase? I have found a sony WM D6 but not sure if this is compatible.

please help!!!

cheers

Always used a Nagra with those. Is there a local audio rental house or camera rental shop that could help you out?

It's certainly a good question for here but somebody near you may have both an answer and a piece of gear.

Good luck.

Why do you specifically want a crystal sync unit?

If all you need is a constant speed recording device than any digital recorded will do the job and you have many options at prices from $400 up to a few thousand. It just depends on what features you need such as time code, 24 bit recording, etc. The digital recorders have a lot of advantages and the field recorders are so small these days its great. Checkout something like the Fostex FR2LE as a starting point @ about $600. Small, light weight, 2 XLR inputs 24bit broadcast wave files etc.

• Premium Member

I was wondering the same thing, but then I assumed maybe he wanted to finish on 16mm film and have a lab resolve his track for the the optical sound print. This is old school but some people still do it this way.

If all you need is a constant speed recording device than any digital recorded will do the job and you have many options at prices from $400 up to a few thousand. It just depends on what features you need such as time code, 24 bit recording, etc. The digital recorders have a lot of advantages and the field recorders are so small these days its great. Checkout something like the Fostex FR2LE as a starting point @ about $600. Small, light weight, 2 XLR inputs 24bit broadcast wave files etc.

Doesn't it have to be crystal sync in order to sync sound with image. Or are the Arri BL's stable enough to use a separate recording device.

Cheers.

• Premium Member
Doesn't it have to be crystal sync in order to sync sound with image. Or are the Arri BL's stable enough to use a separate recording device.

Cheers.

What you need is a crystal sync motor on the camera. If you are running the camera at a crystal controlled sync speed (24 fps here in the States and 25 fps in Europe), then any digital recorder will work fine for you. I would avoid digital recorders that compress the audio, like a MiniDisc recorder. But any of the digital hard drive recorders should work fine.

Just make sure you are running the camera at crystal sync speed.

Best,

-Tim

Just to piggy back on what Tim mentioned. Your recording device does not need to be crystal controlled if it is digital.

All digital recording devices are constant speed because they have a constant sample rate.

So as long as your camera is crystal controlled to run at a constant frame rate then any digital recorded will allow you to sync image with sound. I would strongly encourage you to not buy a sony WM D6, it is obsolete technology, and will give you low quality recordings to boot!

Go with the recored I mentioned earlier or something of that ilk. If you are editing / finishing on film you can have digital files laid off to mag. Post audio work flows these days are very flexible and there is no technical reason to record audio to tape that I am aware of. If you are doing non-linear editing a digital recorder is the way to go because to get your audio into the system is just a file transfer.

On my last shoot we recorded using my Marantz PDM 660 (with an audio Technica 815 shotgun mic) with the Aminima. Everything was perfectly in sync simply using an old fashioned slate without time code, and it also sounded great.