DOP needed!

Hi everyone,

what is the best way to find a DOP? Is there any advise or Help with any adresses or contacts? I am looking for a director of photography for the next feature film that we are going to shoot in Tirana, Albania in September this year.

The film is very low budget and we haven't decided yet on which format 35mm, 16mm or HD. Everything concerning the technique is to be hired/rented but the first step is to make an agreement with the DOP.

Can someone help with some info or adresses?

• Premium Member

I'm sure you can contact the people on this site whose work you've seen and whose personalities you'd like and ask them. From there, you can get referrals etc. . (hell, if you like my reel I'll go on out and shoot it for you and bring my own S16mm camera!)

If there is a cinematographer you like, it shouldn't be too hard to track them down; often the union will have contact info for them or their agent. For instance, if it's a Los Angeles DP, you can try and contact them through local 600.

Additionally, many cinematographers, even very famous ones like Roger Deakins, David Mullen, Claudio Miranda, et all maintain websites where it is relatively easy to find contact information, and you can also view their work and get a sense of their style.

If you don't have a DP you are specifically looking for, but want submissions, an ad here or an www.mandy.com will get you plenty of submissions. However, if you are going for someone higher up in the industry, they don't tend to submit to those ads; you'll want to get in touch with agencies that represent below the line talent (Geffen, New York Office, UTA also has a lot of good DPs) and get them to submit reels.

However, generally they'll want to know the range of rate you are considering.

You can see my work at my website at www.charleshaine.com; I have strong relationships for bringing in 35mm or super16 for very reasonable rates.

If you post an address, I'm sure people would be willing to send you DVD reels and resume's.

Good luck.

Charles Haine

www.charleshaine.com

hi

my name is ram Shani i am cinematographer from Israel

let me tell you about my self :

i worked as gaffer for 9 years and as TV lighting director.(so i know how to light for multi cam) .then i went to film school for 4 years and since graduation i work full time as DP.

one of my strong points is to "read the director mind" and bring his/her vision to the screen on budget without stop to push the visual envelope.

my moto"from dream to screen from vision to light"

being from different country i will give your film different eye.

hope you will like the real and maybe we will work together

you can see my work here:

www.myspace.com/ramdp

thanks for your time

Thanks to everyone for the valuable help and everyone who has answered and shown interest in our project. I haven't had the possibility to check the answers in detail but of course it will be done as soon as possible i.e. I will return in a few days with personal contact to the DOP's who have already or are still willing to show interest in this project.

My home adress concerning everyone who is interested to send sample dvd's is:

Mevlan Shanaj

Rruga e Dibres 198/1

Tirana Albania

*thanks and best wishes

Edited by Mevlan Shanaj

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Mevlan,

I'm a DP from Holland and would love to shoot a feature in Albania :-)

You can check out my showreel at www.jbazuin.com

I've shot several short films but there not online. If you like my showreel I could you send a DVD with a couple of shorts. If you're interested in working with me I would love to learn more about the project!

Greetings,

Jasper Bazuin

• 2 weeks later...

Mevlan, should you still be considering, please refer to my website: www.andypatch.net. I have extensive international experience, in the areas of music video, commercial, documentary and narrative. Please refer to my reels, should you still be on the market for a DP. Best of luck to you.