good book for the HDWF900R

Rick Shepardson

I'm looking for a good book for the HDXF900R. I would like to find something that goes over menus and such. All I can find is the 29 page advertisement that Sony considers to be a operations manual.

Does anybody have any good leads?

thanks

Rick SHepardson

I'm looking for a good book for the HDXF900R. I would like to find something that goes over menus and such. All I can find is the 29 page advertisement that Sony considers to be a operations manual.

Does anybody have any good leads?

thanks

Rick SHepardson

Hey Rick,

The bbc has some 750/900 settings doc on their R&D website... You do however need to know about digital cinematography....if you don't may I recommend Paul Wheeler's "Digital Cinematography" book.

Edited by Serge Teulon

Hey Rick,

The bbc has some 750/900 settings doc on their R&D website... You do however need to know about digital cinematography....if you don't may I recommend Paul Wheeler's "Digital Cinematography" book.

Thanks, I'll definitly check it out.

I'm beggining to learn the basics of digital cinematography; matrix, gamma, roping. The biggest headache for me is working with the post people and finding the best work flow.

• 5 months later...
The bbc has some 750/900 settings doc on their R&D website...

Hi,

I am about to shoot a period tv drama in Syria next month on a Sony 900. I would like to play with the menus to get a more cine/film ('Kodak'?) look.

Do you have a link where I can find these documents? I can't seem to find them myself.

Thank you!

Hi,

I am about to shoot a period tv drama in Syria next month on a Sony 900. I would like to play with the menus to get a more cine/film ('Kodak'?) look.

Do you have a link where I can find these documents? I can't seem to find them myself.

Thank you!

You can find the F900R listed here, together with many other cameras:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp034.shtml

Their F900R "film look" basically uses the Hyper Gamma setting, so it doesn't match a particular film stock. I shot some high contrast backlit seascapes at low tide and the highlights held up surprisingly well. However, the gamma I used was intended for grading in post.

You need to read notes for the Hyper Gamma curves to find that will work best for you, plus ideally shoot a test.