First RED on Ebay

Guest Glen Alexander

Guest Glen Alexander

Well first one I've seen on Ebay.

No it is not mine, nor am I posting this for free advertisement of Ebay or RED, merely for educational purposes.

Item 150256288883

Edited by Glen Alexander

• Premium Member

No it is not mine, nor am I posting this for free advertisement of Ebay or RED, merely for educational purposes.

Item 150256288883

I saw it a few days ago...at that point is was 26,100 for the body alone and that still didnt meet the reserve. It seems the seller is greedy. Who in the world would want to pay that much for an already used camera that is way over MSRP when there are so many other tried and true production cameras out there already?

Guest Glen Alexander
I saw it a few days ago...at that point is was 26,100 for the body alone and that still didnt meet the reserve. It seems the seller is greedy. Who in the world would want to pay that much for an already used camera that is way over MSRP when there are so many other tried and true production cameras out there already?

well the ad does say "100%" working... i wonder which version of firmware it has :lol:

• Premium Member

Item 150256288883

I think there have been others.

Why on earth do they think anybody would want to pay $9K above the new price for a used camera with an unknown history, when RED expect to have all their back orders filled in six months anyway? You will then get a brand new camera with the latest software and a no-questions-asked warranty. For less.

If somebody has found the RED wasn't quite the license to print money they expected, they might be able to get their purchase price back if there is somebody who needs one in a hurry (such as a situation where securing a lucrative contract requires a backup body), but I am sure there there are plenty of owners who would be happy rent one to them.

Ebay is full of dreamers. Somebody once had a Panavision body for sale on eBay; I never heard the outcome of that one :lol:

• Premium Member
Last I heard RED charges a Warrenty/Support Free if you switch from the original owner to a new owner to the tune of $5k.

Dane

4k + Raw

Are you sure about that Dane? I thought I'd heard that it was $500....

By the way Dane, I saw the Sun Microsystems spots that we did. I thought they turned out pretty well.

Are you sure about that Dane? I thought I'd heard that it was $500....

It is only $500. That's the kinda FUD I keep finding about the RED on forums. What I find strange about the ebay auction is that they don't mention the camera's serial number-which seems really fishy to me. Other people on Reduser have been wondering if the camera is stolen since there's no serial number list and the only parts shown are the bottom plate and dovetail--which look to still have the old finish that RED would fix for free. Something just seems funky.

Matthew

• Premium Member
It is only $500. That's the kinda FUD I keep finding about the RED on forums.

Matthew

Hi,

$500 + any upgrade costs, assuming that the camera is acceptable for the 90 day warranty. The full 1 year warranty that comes with a new camera is not transferable. at any price

Stephen

• Premium Member
Other people on Reduser have been wondering if the camera is stolen since there's no serial number list and the only parts shown are the bottom plate and dovetail--which look to still have the old finish that RED would fix for free. Something just seems funky.

Instead of believing those knuckle-heads on Reduser.net and making a fool of yourself falsely accusing some poor RED purchaser, why don't you just ask the seller a question and see if you get a response. I know it's hard for RED-heads to wrap their small mind around the idea that someone MAY want to sell their RED and get something else but it is possible.

PS- I don't care if this post sounds bad because it is uncalled for to slander a seller without any proof.

Instead of believing those knuckle-heads on Reduser.net and making a fool of yourself falsely accusing some poor RED purchaser, why don't you just ask the seller a question and see if you get a response. I know it's hard for RED-heads to wrap their small mind around the idea that someone MAY want to sell their RED and get something else but it is possible.

PS- I don't care if this post sounds bad because it is uncalled for to slander a seller without any proof.

Wow. It's really uncalled for to call everyone (including me) at RedUser small minded. Just because I spend time at RedUser does NOT make me a knuckle-head or small minded. I really believe that you owe not just me, but everyone at RedUser and apology. IF you had actually READ the posts at RedUser you would have found out that people HAVE asked and not received an answer. Or that this camera was listed before under a different screen name, yanked when people started questioning it, and re-listed under the current name. (exact same pictures and description) Someone who has a RED camera to sell at this point has waited AT LEAST a year to take delivery and would be aware (if not proud) of it's serial number and know that they would need to post it with the auction for buyers to not be suspicious. Not to mention that it's missing parts that would normally come with the base plate and dovetail (top handle, universal mount, drive cradle, handle, 18" rods, etc.)

BTW, it's only slander if I said it WAS stolen (not that I wonder if it is) and that turned out that it was not stolen. Please understand what that word means before you use it.

Yes, you are correct Stephen. I guess $500 would be worth it for the 90 day warranty (if they would accept the camera), but just barely.

Thank you,

Matthew

• Premium Member
I really believe that you owe not just me, but everyone at RedUser and apology.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. I don't owe you or ANYONE at RedUSER.net an apology. I said "RED-head" which was a term that came to mean a RED fanboy who was totally irrational about facts and blindly followed vaporware before it ever came into being. If this is what you are, then perhaps I owe you an apology. But not for the reasons you think.

As far as calling you a knuckle head, I really didn't if you READ MY POST. I said you shouldn't listen to what every knuckle-head at REDuser.net says. This isn't to say that every person that's there is a knuckle-head, just that everyone who would be hasty to jump to accusations of a seller is a knuckle-head. If you RED shooters are so content with your camera and shooting format, why not go shoot your blockbuster feature instead of hanging on your camera-specific board and be dumbfounded that someone would sell a RED on eBay. I've seen film gear that would put RED to shame that still gets sold by someone for any number of reasons. I'm sure Stephen Williams has 35mm gear that you would sell your RED and practically your soul for.

Anyways, I'm done with explaining myself.

Just my opinion here (and yes, I am a RED owner, a "REDhead" and literally a red head) -

I have worked in the industry, in Hollywood, on everything from music videos to commercials, to feature films and TV. I have worked with big name cinematographers to wanna-bes. I have done this for the last nine years and on a wide variety of camera systems. Love 35mm.

But after using the RED, I will never use anything else again. It is like switching from a PC to mac.

Again, just my opinion.

• Premium Member
But after using the RED, I will never use anything else again. It is like switching from a PC to mac.

So basically it's like switching from a platform with a ton of low cost options to switching to a platform with limited expensive options? Thank you for that...it clarified a lot.

Why don't you do your own research before making unfounded accusations. As Matthew Rogers said, people HAD asked and not received an answer. Does that actually matter to you? Or are you just gonna keep on ranting ignoring half of the story?

As far as calling you a knuckle head, I really didn't if you READ MY POST. I said you shouldn't listen to what every knuckle-head at REDuser.net says. This isn't to say that every person that's there is a knuckle-head, just that everyone who would be hasty to jump to accusations of a seller is a knuckle-head. If you RED shooters are so content with your camera and shooting format, why not go shoot your blockbuster feature instead of hanging on your camera-specific board and be dumbfounded that someone would sell a RED on eBay. I've seen film gear that would put RED to shame that still gets sold by someone for any number of reasons. I'm sure Stephen Williams has 35mm gear that you would sell your RED and practically your soul for.

You can't just say, "Instead of believing those knuckle-heads on Reduser.net " and have it mean a few people. If you had said, "believing a few knuckle-heads on Reduser" then that would mean just a few people--even then it needs to be rewritten to be clearer. And to be clear, no one at RU jumped quickly too quickly. The auction has every sign from the start of being a scam (feedback is strange, never selling anything before, very basic description, parts missing.)

People aren't dumbfounded that someone would sell theirs (I know of one guy who realized that he needed a more broadcast style camera for his workflow and that makes sense), but they are being careful that it's not stolen.

What kind of "film gear" are you even talking about? Stephen does not have any 35mm gear that I would sell my RED for. Since my RED will take all 35mm PL-mount lenses, follow focus, matteboxes, and other accessories, the only thing left is the camera body and film mags. Why would I need those?! Your comment makes absolutely no sense.

Matthew

• Premium Member
So basically it's like switching from a platform with a ton of low cost options to switching to a platform with limited expensive options? Thank you for that...it clarified a lot.

no that would be like switching from a platform with a ton of bugs and a hopeless operating system to a platform which works for the user and gives them the tools to finish their job on a stable platform. red sure isn't a mac. in fact it is deffinately a pc. and it is getting more and more like that with every crash and failed start...

• Premium Member
no that would be like switching from a platform with a ton of bugs and a hopeless operating system to a platform which works for the user and gives them the tools to finish their job on a stable platform.

Keith, is it the PC you don't like or the Windows OS? Remember, a PC can run Linux.

• Premium Member
You can't just say, "Instead of believing those knuckle-heads on Reduser.net " and have it mean a few people. If you had said, "believing a few knuckle-heads on Reduser" then that would mean just a few people--even then it needs to be rewritten to be clearer.

I don't need to rewrite anything...are you the free speech police?

People aren't dumbfounded that someone would sell theirs (I know of one guy who realized that he needed a more broadcast style camera for his workflow and that makes sense), but they are being careful that it's not stolen.

If someone lists a Bolex on eBay, are you worried if it's stolen?

What kind of "film gear" are you even talking about? Stephen does not have any 35mm gear that I would sell my RED for. Since my RED will take all 35mm PL-mount lenses, follow focus, matteboxes, and other accessories, the only thing left is the camera body and film mags. Why would I need those?! Your comment makes absolutely no sense.

It would make sense to people who appreciate quality. Have you shot anything that compares with Stephen's level of Cinematography? His images are due in part to his gear.

Matthew

This is your redeeming quality...great name!

No, you don't need to rewrite anything. But the comment you made could easily be interpreted in a few different ways. So in the future if you must resort to degrading a group of people with names, then maybe you should pick your words a little more carefully. I don't know what other kind of response you'd expect.

• Premium Member
... I don't know what other kind of response you'd expect.

I expect you RED fans to come on this board and stay on topic with the initial purpose of the thread which was "how much you think the RED one on eBay will sell for." Not to highjack the thread with your REDuser.net discussions. If you wanted to alert people that this might be a fraud auction, make a new thread for that.

You must show respect here to earn respect. You aren't entitled to disrespect this forum just because you own a RED and think you're superior. This forum has been dealing with problems about the RED ever since the development of the RED was announced. RED fans would come here, expect everyone to jump on the bandwagon, and when we didn't then we were slammed by the hoards of RED fans from the almost defunct DVXuser which would mainly become REDuser. I'm not trying to be rude to anyone but after two years of dealing with camera fanboys who seem to care more about brand loyalty than true filmmaking, it gets old. A good filmmaker uses the tools they have and makes the most of it. It honestly doesn't matter which camera you have.

Good luck to you and Matthew Rogers.

I'm just going to put these two statements back to back for archival purposes.

I don't need to rewrite anything...are you the free speech police?

I expect you RED fans to come on this board and stay on topic with the initial purpose of the thread which was "how much you think the RED one on eBay will sell for." Not to highjack the thread with your REDuser.net discussions. If you wanted to alert people that this might be a fraud auction, make a new thread for that.

High-larious.

You must show respect here to earn respect.

How's that working out for ya, out of curiosity?

R.

• Premium Member

Matthew

Hi,

FWIW a Red One lists for more than I paid for 2 Ultracam Bodies with 2 sets of SuperSpeeds in BNCR, the Fries Mitchell cost less then an Red EVF & LCD. As I don't pay for film or processing I don't know where I would make any savings by switching to Red.

I politely turned down a Red shoot last week, the producer wanted to pay just half my normal rate, he also wanted me to do a week af testing for free. It now looks like I will be shooting that same project for a different Director on 35mm at my full rate, the low balling producer does not have a showreel, he was touting mine!

Stephen

Guest Glen Alexander
Keith, is it the PC you don't like or the Windows OS? Remember, a PC can run Linux.

as well as Freebsd, QNX, Solaris, VxWorks....

Guest Glen Alexander

US $18.000,00 as of june 10, 300 CEST

previous items bought were stamps and collectable pennies.... :huh: