Problems connecting XL2

Edgar Dubrovskiy

Hi!

Trying to connect XL2 to capture some footage to FCP.

Connecting through FireWire (4-pin in camera to 6-pin in Mac). The problem is - mac (10.5.2) doesn't see the camera.

When going to FCP (6.0.2) to capture files, it says that external Apple Firewire PAL (720x576) device is not connected; whe clicking 'log and capture' - "unable to initialize video deck".

Please note that this is the first time the XL2 is connected to this particular MacBook.

What is the problem and how to solve it?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edgar.

wow... speedy response.

I usually have the same problem whenever i connect my XL2 to an avid system for the first time. With that its a process of first allocating the imput port and then selecting OHCI via firewire. Now i think about it i really dont know what that means or why i do it... its just what i was taught without being given a reason for why im doing it.

Sorry im not being any help whatsoever :unsure:

It might be worth reposting the same question down in the editors section of the forums.

Good luck mate,

Ollie

Hi!

Trying to connect XL2 to capture some footage to FCP.

Connecting through FireWire (4-pin in camera to 6-pin in Mac). The problem is - mac (10.5.2) doesn't see the camera.

When going to FCP (6.0.2) to capture files, it says that external Apple Firewire PAL (720x576) device is not connected; whe clicking 'log and capture' - "unable to initialize video deck".

Please note that this is the first time the XL2 is connected to this particular MacBook.

What is the problem and how to solve it?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edgar.

Do you have an external hard drive connected? I have run into this problem frequently with specifically Canon cameras and LaCie hard drives. For some reason, when a LaCie ( I have the big Disk Extreme), FCP wont recognize the camera and you cant import video. Both Apple, Canon, and LaCie blame each other for this problem. There's no way to fix that I know of, except to import to a different make drive, or import to your internal hard drive then migrate to the external. I know its a pain, but its the only way we've worked around it on a doc I have been working on for the past year. The Director contacted all parties, and received really no help at all. Just finger pointing.

Do you have an external hard drive connected? I have run into this problem frequently with specifically Canon cameras and LaCie hard drives. For some reason, when a LaCie ( I have the big Disk Extreme), FCP wont recognize the camera and you cant import video. Both Apple, Canon, and LaCie blame each other for this problem. There's no way to fix that I know of, except to import to a different make drive, or import to your internal hard drive then migrate to the external. I know its a pain, but its the only way we've worked around it on a doc I have been working on for the past year. The Director contacted all parties, and received really no help at all. Just finger pointing.

This problem isn't exclusive to lacie drives, I have had the same issues with my maxtor externals too. My work around is to get a USB 2.0 hub and hook my external drives up through that. My mac then recognizes the camera and all is good. I suspect that the issue is with canon's software but as you said nobody wants to own up or fix it. Both my lacie and maxtor drives have both interfaces, though I would prefer to use my lacie firewire 800 it just won't happen if I need to import with my camera. I guess it is more incentive to get a deck and stop using my camera as a deck.

This problem isn't exclusive to lacie drives, I have had the same issues with my maxtor externals too. My work around is to get a USB 2.0 hub and hook my external drives up through that. My mac then recognizes the camera and all is good. I suspect that the issue is with canon's software but as you said nobody wants to own up or fix it. Both my lacie and maxtor drives have both interfaces, though I would prefer to use my lacie firewire 800 it just won't happen if I need to import with my camera. I guess it is more incentive to get a deck and stop using my camera as a deck.

Wow, didnt realize it was a problem with Maxtor's as well. It is pretty annoying to have to use such work arounds.

Is the camera in VCR mode? ;) he he

In FCP did you try refreshing A/V devices? Perhaps then FCP will recognize it.

I captured some stuff from an XL2 a couple weeks ago without any problems, and this one is a new one to me. I've only heard of issues when shooting free run time code on the XL2.

In FCP did you try refreshing A/V devices? Perhaps then FCP will recognize it.

Did lots of times - doesn't help.

What I don't understand - Windows doesn't see the camera as well - it doesn't even show that annoying yellow bubble with 'new device' message.

Edited by Edgar Dubrovskiy

• 5 months later...
UPDATE and SOULUTION.

Basically, bought a third wire (golden (!) 6-pin to 4-pin Firewire). And it worked.

Thanks a lot!

Could you give me the link to what kind of firewire cable you bought? I've been having this same problem and I have a feeling it's the firewire cable.

Guest Evan Pierre

Oh wow, that is quite scary that you are having this trouble with both maxtor and lacie drives. Our schools brand new imacs, each with 2tb of G-Raid external hard drives have the EXACT same problem.

I am going to try that USB hub idea, thanks!