Best 16mm stock for noir Black & White

David Auner aac

• Premium Member

Hi folks,

what stock would you recommend for a noir style shoot on 16mm black and white? I want to light this with hard light mostly and will maybe rent one or more 10k tungsten fresnels to try and emulate the wrap around quality of an arc. So I think the speed isn't too much of an issue.

Thanks, Dave

I love Plus-X for exteriors and Tri-X for interiors. Easy to find, good contrast, easy to find processing labs (in the US). I would love to shoot a feature on reversal B/W stock.

heh, I am shooting a feature on reversal B/W stock.

• Premium Member

Thanks guys. You're pretty much confirming what I was thinking. My first test will be with Foma R100 because I have two rolls still sitting in my fridge. I'd like to have them processed as reversal.

As for the lighting, do you think that the 10k fresnel will work for what I'm trying to get at? Can't afford HMIs though.

Cheers, Dave

Thanks guys. You're pretty much confirming what I was thinking. My first test will be with Foma R100 because I have two rolls still sitting in my fridge. I'd like to have them processed as reversal.

As for the lighting, do you think that the 10k fresnel will work for what I'm trying to get at? Can't afford HMIs though.

Cheers, Dave

You have to have the foma processed as reversal, they cannot be done as negative. And yes, should work fine.

• Premium Member

What's a good place for Foma processing in the States (or Canada?) Last time I tried it a lab in LA kind of messed it up, but they warned me before.

Also, where can we get it now anyway? My last source stopped carrying it.

For Noir look: I would stay away from Plus-X negative even though Kodak seems to think that's the Noir stock. Double-X has more character in my opinion and more grain which helps too. Not sure if the super high contrast stocks are the way to go, maybe normal contrast stocks with lighting for effect more.

• Premium Member
You have to have the foma processed as reversal, they cannot be done as negative. And yes, should work fine.

Uhm, I was under the impression that you could do B&W as either. Why not Foma? Or am I remembering this wrong?

@Will, can' t help w/ North America, but Wittner Kinotechnik in Germany carries the stuff and processes it too!

Cheers, Dave

Uhm, I was under the impression that you could do B&W as either. Why not Foma? Or am I remembering this wrong?

@Will, can' t help w/ North America, but Wittner Kinotechnik in Germany carries the stuff and processes it too!

Cheers, Dave

foma cannot be done as negative as it needs to have a silver based back layer removed during the reversal process. It's a bit harder to process than tri-x but not too hard. A lab that does tri-x could do the foma if pushing 1 or 2 stops during the dev. (extending the 1st dev. time), but I cannot guarantee that it will work (that's my own experience)...

What's a good place for Foma processing in the States (or Canada?) Last time I tried it a lab in LA kind of messed it up, but they warned me before.

Also, where can we get it now anyway? My last source stopped carrying it.

Freestyle and Javaphoto both carry it. For processing, CineLab, Yale, Java Photo, the B&W Film Factory and Executive Film and Video.

Freestyle and Javaphoto both carry it. For processing, CineLab, Yale, Java Photo, the B&W Film Factory and Executive Film and Video.

Yale DOES NOT process Fomapan anymore. Like just about every lab around, they finally threw in the towel due to the problems with getting

good reliable results without ruining their chemicals, so I was told. If I were shooting a feature in B+W and didn't want to use Plus-X or Tri-X, I would much

rather shoot Orwo UN54 than Fomapan. Orwo looks great without all the problems of Fomapan.

Yale DOES NOT process Fomapan anymore. Like just about every lab around, they finally threw in the towel due to the problems with getting

good reliable results without ruining their chemicals, so I was told. If I were shooting a feature in B+W and didn't want to use Plus-X or Tri-X, I would much

rather shoot Orwo UN54 than Fomapan. Orwo looks great without all the problems of Fomapan.

Yes, that's true, ORWO can be nicely processed as reversal also and it is also very silver rich.

Hi dave!!

im not a DP first of all but i always use the following stock:

16mm Kodak 7222 Double-X

Black & White Negative

Daylight 250ASA

Tungsten 200ASA

and then with color correction you can get what you want.

i have some stock of a film that i bought in ebay years ago, is REGISCOPE, the boxes dont tell anything else that that, i expose this rolls at asa200 and 400 and looks fantastic. i dont know if theres available anymore, i bought 50 100feet spools around 4 years ago and never heard of that kinf of film again. but maybe ith a goog google search you can find it.

the final look with no color correction i a good contrast picture with detail in the hole frame.

i recomend for processing the following lab:

http://blackandwhitefilmfactory.com/

bestwishes!!

G.T

Hi folks,

what stock would you recommend for a noir style shoot on 16mm black and white? I want to light this with hard light mostly and will maybe rent one or more 10k tungsten fresnels to try and emulate the wrap around quality of an arc. So I think the speed isn't too much of an issue.

Thanks, Dave