Putting a Mole on a Cstand?

Does anyone know whats needed to adapt one of the old 2K Mole lights to a Cstand? Im using one on a small shoot coming up but the base of the light wont fit to an Arri light stand or a Cstand.

If the Light is a Junior Pin and the Stand is a Baby Stand... you can purchase - Jr. to Baby Adapters - from AmericanGrip.com

I have several 2ks that have Jr. Pins on them and when interior I usually put them on my Baby Stands with these adapters... you could also use them on C-stands etc... they work great for 2ks but I don't recommend them for 5 or 10s.

Edited by David Rakoczy

• Premium Member

Thanks David.

http://www.filmandvideolighting.com/avyotostadtv.html

This looks like what we need, not sure though. The light has a 1" (or is it a 1 1/8"?) receiver with a hole that comes through the top. This looks like it would slide into the cup, the bolt would come through to secure it to the light, and the other side of the adaptor would fit the 5/8" baby (C-stand or smaller light stand) Sound right?

I have no gaffer on this one so I'm doing this stuff myself. It's good rigging training!

That is a replacement piece.. I don't believe it will work.. or work very well. Your Light has a Jr. Pin... you just need a Baby to Jr. Adapter. Call American Grip at 818 . 768 . 8922. Tell them (Lance or Phil) you want to place a Mole 2k (with a Jr. Pin) on a Baby Stand or C-Stand). They have the Adapters. I bought three.. they work great.

Give me a call.. my number is on the site.. link below...

Edited by David Rakoczy

• Premium Member

The light doesn't have a pin, it has a receiver only. Maybe the pin is missing? The adaptor has to be a male 1 1/8" diameter pin on one end, and 5/8 ID female on the other. That link looks more like the solution. AGrip sent me a pdf. file with a pic of a "MPTV" adaptor. This looks like it could be it too but it doesn't have a top view where there should be a 1/2" threaded hole for the securing bolt so I have to assume it's there. It has a thumb screw for securing the 5/8" side which seems like a problem when pulling it on and off often. I was hoping that Avenger in the link would work, it has a hand screw.

The light doesn't have a pin, it has a receiver only. Maybe the pin is missing? The adaptor has to be a male 1 1/8" diameter pin on one end, and 5/8 ID female on the other. That link looks more like the solution. AGrip sent me a pdf. file with a pic of a "MPTV" adaptor. This looks like it could be it too but it doesn't have a top view where there should be a 1/2" threaded hole for the securing bolt so I have to assume it's there. It has a thumb screw for securing the 5/8" side which seems like a problem when pulling it on and off often. I was hoping that Avenger in the link would work, it has a hand screw.

Vincent.. call me. I want to be sure you are getting the right thing. My number is on the website... link below.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. That link is for a TVMP (TeleVision to Motion Picture) adapter, used to convert fixtures which are normally hung from a grid via a pipe clamp to stand mount. Fixtures like lekos, par cans, cyc lights, etc. If you had posted an image of you Mole 2k or listed the model nuber, the confusion could have been avoided. From your description, fixture has a cast metal yoke and what you are calling a receiver is actually where the male portion of the junior pipe clamp or junior pin would be insterted. Both are held in place with a threaded bolt. A lighting supply like Barbizon should be able to get you what you need.

Thanks David, you saved me a lot of trouble.

JD you were right.

I need a new replacement pin, then a Jr. to baby adaptor.

Glad I could help.. it was fun getting Mole on the line with us. But one correction.. you mean Baby to Jr. Adapter. Think of these things from the bottom up.. a Jr. to Baby Adapter is typically called a 'spud' in Hollywood. You can put a Baby Light on a Jr. Stand using a Spud. You need a Baby to Jr. Adapter (the opposite) so you can place that Jr. 2k onto a Baby Stand (or C-Stand).

Best of luck on your Night Exterior! Have Fun!

Edited by David Rakoczy

I don't think I'd go to Mole for the part. It's nothing special and if you can't find a junior pin locally, take the yoke to a machine shop and explain what you need made. A six inch length of 1-1/8" mild steel with two turned diameters and a threaded hole in the end. It shouldn't cost a fortune. You might even have them bore a 5/8" hole in the stand end to receive the baby pin. That would eliminate having to buy an additional adapter.

Of course if it was my fixture, I'd just make the pin as I have for some of my others.

I don't think I'd go to Mole for the part. It's nothing special and if you can't find a junior pin locally, take the yoke to a machine shop and explain what you need made. A six inch length of 1-1/8" mild steel with two turned diameters and a threaded hole in the end. It shouldn't cost a fortune. You might even have them bore a 5/8" hole in the stand end to receive the baby pin. That would eliminate having to buy an additional adapter.

Of course if it was my fixture, I'd just make the pin as I have for some of my others.

-JD.. you mean Baby 'Receiver' .. not 'pin'... all Baby Stands have the 'Pin'... His Light would need a 'Baby Receiver'.

Vincent is going the right route getting the Light back to original operating condition and supplementing with a Baby to Jr. Adapter.

Dave, no I didn't mean Baby Reciever. If you had a Junior pin made for the Mole, the stand end of the pin could be bored out so that the Baby pin of a stand would fit in it. It would elimite a second part. I wouldn't worry about buying a Mole part and having the fixture "original".

Edited by JD Hartman

Dave, no I didn't mean Baby Reciever. If you had a Junior pin made for the Mole, the stand end of the pin could be bored out so that the Baby pin of a stand would fit in it. It would elimite a second part. I wouldn't worry about buying a Mole part and having the fixture "original".

I see, you mean a Pin/ Receiver combo... gotcha.. lot's of ways to skin this cat... it comes down to time vs $.. I (personally) would get the Pin and the Adapter and be done. But hey.. you may have some great machine shop contacts and would enjoy going that route.

Best to ya JD