new site

Excellent photography. But three important things:

1) Since you have a 414 phone number but are L.A.-based, you desperately need something on the front page that tells me that you're a local. An address (a P.O. box is fine) is plenty to do this. A phone number (even a forwarding line) with a local area code is good, too. Some sort of catchy homepage phrase is also good. But something.

2) Be sure to test the site on every possible browser (including Blackberry and iPhone), with and without Flash, JavaScript, etc. enabled. I don't need to be able to see the reel, but I must be able to get your contact information on the road or on a Luddite computer, or you'll miss out on opportunities.

3) Remember that your customers are looking for solutions to problems, not DPs. What is unique about you? What can you do better/faster/cheaper than most other DPs out there? If Figure that out and put it somewhere prominent. I've seen this done as part of a the bio ("a lifelong love of photography comes from an innate sense of light and color" or "after gaining a reputation for the ability to shoot with most any equipment"), as part of the homepage, as a separate section ("practical solutions for you"), but there needs to be something there that tells me that you are the solution to my problems. I'm on your website, I already need a DP, but I need to know, why you and not someone else?

On the whole, very nice work.

• Premium Member

I would ad to move the demo off of the main page. Here on my macbook pro wirelessly it hung my firefox. If you are going to leave the demo there, DISABLE AUTO PLAY! And perhaps have links for quality (which I'm working on for my own page which is by no way up to your standard)

All the best;

Adrian

3) Remember that your customers are looking for solutions to problems, not DPs. What is unique about you? What can you do better/faster/cheaper than most other DPs out there? If Figure that out and put it somewhere prominent. I've seen this done as part of a the bio ("a lifelong love of photography comes from an innate sense of light and color" or "after gaining a reputation for the ability to shoot with most any equipment"), as part of the homepage, as a separate section ("practical solutions for you"), but there needs to be something there that tells me that you are the solution to my problems. I'm on your website, I already need a DP, but I need to know, why you and not someone else?

On the whole, very nice work.

Jim: That is very, very good advice. On all three points, but the last one is gold. It is good to have people post here who are good in thinking as (or are actual) PRODUCERS, the people who actually hire us. Thank you for posting very good info, as I am putting together my own reel website and need some of that feedback myself.

Saul

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• 2 weeks later...