Please Tear my CV Apart.

Hi.

This is my CV that I'm linking most people to, http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bas/cv/

If you could please take a look and attack it so I can improve it that would great.

cheers.

ps. I have put 'broadcast operations' as the job title as I do both camera and lighting however I don't have the experience to go calling myself a lighting director or camera operator. I consider myself an assistant camera that operates.

• Premium Member

"Willing to work both paid and for expenses depending on the project"

I would loose that bit of it, as it may get you much more unpaid than paid work.

Also, the ending bit is a little jarring in terms of grammar. A slightly better flow may, IMHO be better.

Aside from that I think it's fine.

It would be interesting, if possible, for your lighting director/cam op/dp stuff to add a link to examples of it from the online CV.

Perhaps loose the still photographer bit as well, and focus on just the cinema/broadcast bit.

Just my suggestion. .

One of these days I should make up my CV. . .

• Premium Member
I have put 'broadcast operations' as the job title as I do both camera and lighting however I don't have the experience to go calling myself a lighting director or camera operator. I consider myself an assistant camera that operates.

IMHO, If you can do a task without close supervision then you have earned the right to the job description. It's your experience that informs a prospective employer just how skilled you are apt to be at that task.

Another way of putting it, when I read a CV or Resume' I assume that the person is placing themselves in the best light possible, even to the point of exaggeration. Being modest may be a virtue but it's probably not a good idea on a CV.

You could do a few different CV's for each category, like one for stills photography and one for lighting, etc. If I weren't just an AC and decided to try and make a living as a writer, recording engineer, camera op, or sarcastic 20-something post-punk vegan with too much spare time, I would separate each of these things into several different documents. And print them out on really tacky stationery.

• Premium Member
You could do a few different CV's for each category, like one for stills photography and one for lighting, etc. If I weren't just an AC and decided to try and make a living as a writer, recording engineer, camera op, or sarcastic 20-something post-punk vegan with too much spare time, I would separate each of these things into several different documents. And print them out on really tacky stationery.

Hi Annie,

If sending a CV for a particular job then it is very sensible to adapt your CV to that job. The positive response rate will be very much higher.

Stephen

I agree with Annie, but if you wanted to keep just the one CV I would definitely split the different positions up with sub-headings (i.e: DOP, GAFFER, CAMERA ASSISTANT, etc.), starting with the position you most want to be hired for and working your way down in order of preference- that way it'll draw people's attention to the various skills you have and departments you've worked in but will help them understand how often you have done each and which you prefer to be doing.

Maya

I agree with Annie, but if you wanted to keep just the one CV I would definitely split the different positions up with sub-headings (i.e: DOP, GAFFER, CAMERA ASSISTANT, etc.)

That's how I organize my CV. Most of my experience is in DP/AC/Cam Op work, so I shift the sub-headings/categories around on my resume, depending on the position I'm applying for. If I'm going for a DP gig, I'll have the DP section at the top. Same with AC gigs, etc.