• Premium Member

For that much, look for HDV, a 1080 signal on a miniDV tape. Problematic, yes, but a "newer" camera than many MiniDVs. . .or else you can risk on Scarlet, which is a 3K camera for under $3000 according to their literature.

Ask 10 cam ops what camera they like, though, and you'll get 10 different answers (though often only 3 or 4 different cameras).

Narrow down your search by price first, and see if anyone around you have that camera, then see if you can take it for a test drive. TEST, it's the golden rule of all things cinematographic (or just dumb luck)

Ive been looking at the XH-A1, Sony FX1, a little bit over my budget but the HVX200A any other suggestions for the array of filming ill be persuing. (Something that will last me over the years and give me the best bang for my buck)

• Premium Member

Sadly cameras are moving away from those models to newer ones, PMWEX1, from sony, or the HVX-170.

Though I'd go for an HVX200, if I could get it, as the prices come down in the used market. I don't personally like the camera, but it can rent out pretty well on as good deal of shoots. Problem is of course the P2 Card cost.

I hear good things of the XHA1, though I don't know how well it integrates with FCP. I have heard of issues, so look into that if that's your editing of choice. Sony's are a good bet, basically, but like the XH, the HDV format may be somewhat of a lame duck. Don't get me wrong, I've shot VERY nice stuff on the Z1U/V1U, but I always am a bit worried about the footage personally.

Good luck. i'm sure others will chime in soon.

I agree with the XHA1, great looking image and edited on FCP with no problems. Pretty solid camera just keep in mind that HDV is a dying format. Don't be surprised when that is a has been camera in a few years.

Even thinking about the scarlet would be ridiculous. Once it comes out (if ever) it may or may not continue to be $3000 but that doesn't include any of the standard accessories let alone a lens, and a decent quality one will ending up costing you easily 5x the price of the camera.

Good luck.

I agree with the XHA1, great looking image and edited on FCP with no problems. Pretty solid camera just keep in mind that HDV is a dying format. Don't be surprised when that is a has been camera in a few years.

Even thinking about the scarlet would be ridiculous. Once it comes out (if ever) it may or may not continue to be $3000 but that doesn't include any of the standard accessories let alone a lens, and a decent quality one will ending up costing you easily 5x the price of the camera.

Good luck.

Per current specs, the Scarlet does include a fixed 8x zoom lens; that may change, but I doubt it, as they are trying to keep the camera entry level. If one wants interchangeable lenses, the RED one is the next step up:

http://www.red.com/nab/scarlet

As for video cameras becoming "has been" every couple of years, that is where the world is at already. Every six months now there is a new camera and / or format out there that is supposed to render everything previous obsolete. Does anyone remember the HDCAM 900, for example? When it came out, George Lucas hailed the camera that had slayed film and now it is used mostly on film productions for EPK footage acquisition only. In roughly ten years Sony alone has developed the 900, the 950, the F23 and now the F35, each practically obsoleting the previous one -at least in desirability. Such is the way of a market-driven world! ;)

The rule of thumb in the current scenario seems to be: buy the best video camera one can afford, make the best AND one's money off of it as quickly as possible and be prepared to continue doing it ad infinitum.

Cynically,

Saul

Edited by Saul Rodgar

Canon XH A1 for portability and really long and kind of wide lens - from 30mm to 600mm

Easy to transport too. Underwater housings available for less than for removable lens cams.

I've shot with it in -20 Celsius for four hours and the internal battery sustained the weather.

I've shot with it from the Christmas 2006 and the HDV short GOP codec has fallen apart for only one time, and I've tried many ways of breaking it up, much much better than Sony HDV long GOP.

Those A1s are available for cheap so don't worry too much.

Else you would desire the XDCAM EX1 fom Sony but it is about three times the price once you've set with all the high capacity recording media and so on.

Cheers,

T

Edited by Tonis Liivamagi