2x anamorphic onto camcorder

Is it possible to fit a 2x kowa or Eiki C lens onto any of the modern consumer camcorders?

What happens if the threads is too large for the thread of the camcorder itself?

If there are threads on the lens and they are too big then you can use step up filter adaptors to get to the right size. Assuming they are available! :) the problem becomes more if you end up with a really weird thread size which isn't common for filters but thats probably unlikely, you can probably step up to the right size.

You will probably need to provide some kind of support for the lens so the weight of it doesn't pull on the camcorder and damage it.

The big problem is that a 2x lens on a 4:3 DV camcorder is a fair bit wider than a 1:2.39 aspect ratio, so you get this very thin strip! :) Might be lots of fun blown up big on a video projector on a huge screen tho.

love

Freya

Is it possible to fit a 2x kowa or Eiki C lens onto any of the modern consumer camcorders?

Technically yes. You will have to mask some of the sides of the image in post. If you shoot 1.33:1 you will get 2.66:1 and scope is 2.45:1. If you are shooting on camera 1.78:1 you will have to crop even more after the 2x conversion.

What happens if the threads is too large for the thread of the camcorder itself?

You mean the diameter of the camera lens and the adaptor are different? You need a step up ring, available at B&H and like stores for that. If the spacing of the threads is different, but the diameters are the same, you may need to mount the anamorphic adapter on to a bars support bracket and use lightweight rods to attach it to the camera, like a mattebox. Someone posted pictures of such a set up here, in the S-8 forum, look it up.

"What happens if the threads is too large for the thread of the camcorder itself?"

If there are threads on the lens and they are too big then you can use step up filter adaptors to get to the right size. Assuming they are available! :) the problem becomes more if you end up with a really weird thread size which isn't common for filters but thats probably unlikely, you can probably step up to the right size.

A straight thread to thread adaptor won't work because, one needs to be able to orient the directionof the squeeze.

One would need, at the simplest, an adaptor which goes from thread thatscrews into the camcorders lens to a tube that the rear barrel of the anamorphot slips into and is held in place with a set screw.

I used to have some that went from a 39mm rear barrel to various series size threads.

For the Kowa 16H/8Z one will need a 52mm diameter barrel. Years ago I saw ones for the Kowa barrel to 52mm and 49mm threads. These particular ones were for Jon Hall's Omnivision, really the Kowa 16H/8Z. Finding them? Hit estate sales.

"What happens if the threads is too large for the thread of the camcorder itself?"

A straight thread to thread adaptor won't work because, one needs to be able to orient the directionof the squeeze.

You might be right as I've not used the Kowa per se but I am using a pentax anamorphic lens and I'm just using step down filter rings. I have to unscrew the lens in the filter ring slightly slightly to get the right orientation but other than that it is fine.

love

Freya

One would need, at the simplest, an adaptor which goes from thread thatscrews into the camcorders lens to a tube that the rear barrel of the anamorphot slips into and is held in place with a set screw.

I used to have some that went from a 39mm rear barrel to various series size threads.

For the Kowa 16H/8Z one will need a 52mm diameter barrel. Years ago I saw ones for the Kowa barrel to 52mm and 49mm threads. These particular ones were for Jon Hall's Omnivision, really the Kowa 16H/8Z. Finding them? Hit estate sales.

Hey Leo, thanks for the info. If my camcorder only accept 30mm threads will there be cut off?