Bolex Repair Costs?

Anthony Schilling

I can't get a hold of anyone over the weekend, but my bolex Rex4 just started having jaming problems... the claw may have broken, and the spriing motor needs replacing or adjusting. Does anyone know what a typical bolex repair will cost? is it one of those things where its just cheaper to get a new camera body?

I can't get a hold of anyone over the weekend, but my bolex Rex4 just started having jaming problems... the claw may have broken, and the spriing motor needs replacing or adjusting. Does anyone know what a typical bolex repair will cost? is it one of those things where its just cheaper to get a new camera body?

No, have it repaired. Contact Dieter Shaffer (sp?) at Procam in Arizona. He's an authorized Bolex service facility. A Bolex can be overhauled for about $350. Send me a PM if you can't find his contact info and I will send it to you.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Anthony

I have opened (and closed) many Bolex-Paillard cameras (and projectors). Film jam with a Bolex-Paillard H camera is in most cases caused by either bent side guides or by improperly set feed rollers. These must be so adjusted that the film entering the gate will retain a not too large upper loop when the claw begins to transport, and equally a not too large lower loop when engaged on the lower feed roller. The loop guides must also be properly set. Altogether some tricky work for the novice.

Never force anything with an H. Better cut jammed film out of the mechanism than to pull it. Unfortunately, the built-in film knife can only be taken out after having taken out the works. Often it is not sharp. Then you take some scissors and cut the film in the same way the built-in knife does. That is important.

Most Bolex cameras are in a bad shape. Governor dry, gears dry, axles not lubricated, rust, sand, dirt. It is possible to quieten a Bolex to some extent by mechanical care. The claw-film noise is harder to dampen. In the end it's an amateur product.