Fired - Short film for Critique

Jay Young

• Premium Member

http://vimeo.com/1494334

Please critique this short. It was rather spur of the moment. As I don't have any other crew than myself, I did all the work. I even wrote the score, which is suppose to mimick John Adams/Phillip Glass. I really havent delved into Minimalism much as a composer, and usually stick to sudo-neo-romanticesque.

Any comments or criticizem welcome!

P.S. I really can't spell, and as my spell checker is not working at the moment (and I don't feel like finding my dictionary), I hope you will not be destracted by my poor spelling.

Thanks,

JRY

Guest Robert G Andrews

My frank 1c worth:

Was your choice of a 12:3 letterbox as poor as your choice of marrying irritating piano & sanguine poetry with quite ordinary camera shots, that is the question... :unsure: :blink: :P

LFM

• Premium Member
My frank 1c worth:

Was your choice of a 12:3 letterbox as poor as your choice of marrying irritating piano & sanguine poetry with quite ordinary camera shots, that is the question... :unsure: :blink: :P

LFM

What would you have done? I chose 2.35:1 because I like that aspect ratio. Some people don't like minimalistic music, however I felt it complemented the mood of this piece very nicely. Phillip Glass has scored lots of movies in the past with music just like this. I never clamed to be a minimalist composer, and even I don't think I am good at it.

I'm no actor, but working by my self has its advantages and drawbacks... so your stuck with the "sanguine poetry".

And what is wrong with ordinary camera shots?

• Premium Member

It didn't look like 2.35:1 to me as a ratio, but that's moot.

Generally you see super-wide screen for very big expansive shots. I think 16:9 (1.78:1) would've better rendered a claustrophobic feel to the piece, but that's just me.

I do quite enjoy Glass, though.

• Premium Member
It didn't look like 2.35:1 to me as a ratio, but that's moot.

Generally you see super-wide screen for very big expansive shots. I think 16:9 (1.78:1) would've better rendered a claustrophobic feel to the piece, but that's just me.

I do quite enjoy Glass, though.

Now that I think about it I quite agree with the claustrophobic feel that the 1.78 would have given it. Perhaps i'll go back and explore that option. YAY NLE's....