Curious about Super 8

George Ebersole

• Premium Member

Wow. I'm really blown away by this footage. I take it this stuff was shot at 24, but projected and transferred at 48.

This footage looks really good. It looks like 16mm from 1990 and before. I'm extremely impressed. Particularly by the last two uploads. It reminds me of a Koyanisqatsi like film I shot back in 1986, only the film stock I used was a low grade Ektachrome.

All this time I've been saving up for a Canon prosumer XL H1 for a filmout. Instead I think I'm going to whip out my old Aaton Bauer.

Thanks Emil. Incredible stuff.

Nice to hear that you liked the Super8 stuff!

I have nothing to do with the Koyanisqatsi stuff (Was my first thought aswell, beautiful film that is)

But i believe its Time Laps and Time exposure actually, which some Super8 cameras can do.

Some info here:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...showtopic=27499

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...showtopic=27607

I was just reading up on the subject actually

Super 8 footage makes me want to take a sledgehammer to my HV30, but it's expensive and I do need to practice more, that's why I bought the Canon.

Congratulations to everyone who made these wonderful films, they're an absolute pleasure to watch. :)

• Premium Member

My old Bauer C107XL was able to do both time lapse and slow-mo, but, unfortunately, it was the victim of my last super-8 project which I shot circa 1992.

The story; I was atop Koit Tower in San Francisco with a buddy of mine. I was getting footage of an American flag atop either the KRON or KGO buildings when a breeze caught the camera, which I had mounted on my dad's old tripod, and sent it hurling down a flight of concrete steps.

The lens broke off, as did the mounting bracket for the handle, exposing wires, motor, and jamming all the gearing inside. I sent it to New York to be fixed, but they told me it was irreperable. Real shame too, because it's the best super-8 camera I ever had. With today's super-8 stock I can only dream of what I would've been able to shoot back then with that camera.

At least I still have my old Nikons (2 of them), but neither of them has an intervelometer, nor high fps setting. I may have to spring for another camera. Ideally another Bauer or even a Beaulieu (Bauer's cheaper last I checked).

I'm still looking to buy a Canon HD camera, but for the time being Super-8 will do just fine. :)

Besides, it's cheaper than outfitting my Arri :P