3D rules

michael abraham

Hi guys,

do you know where I can find a lot info about 3D stereoscopic?

Rules and details about that.

And do someone know where I can find the 3D calculator kelly?

Because I am going to do a test, I'd like to find more info as I can. Rules and details!!!

thanks and all the best

Michele

Just today, I saw a book on eBay about this. And I would think that most of the literature that you would want to find on 3-D/stereoscopic is going to be a little old anyway, correct? Mainly because those methods are based on older and REASONABLY priced equipment.

I'm barbecuing right now, but if I don't get too drunk and forget to do it, I'll try and find that book and post the link.

Edited by Ira Ratner

Just today, I saw a book on eBay about this. And I would think that most of the literature that you would want to find on 3-D/stereoscopic is going to be a little old anyway, correct? Mainly because those methods are based on older and REASONABLY priced equipment.

I'm barbecuing right now, but if I don't get too drunk and forget to do it, I'll try and find that book and post the link.

thanks for your reply...

you are right...but they still to be rules...and they don't change. Change just the equipment.

Thanks anyway!

all the best

Michele

• Premium Member
Hi guys,

do you know where I can find a lot info about 3D stereoscopic?

Take a look at the latest issue of American Cinematographer - there's an in-depth article on the remake of "Voyage to the Center of the Earth" which was shot in stereoscopic 3D. Unfortunately the article isn't online at www.ascmag.com so you'd have to find a print copy.

Take a look at the latest issue of American Cinematographer - there's an in-depth article on the remake of "Voyage to the Center of the Earth" which was shot in stereoscopic 3D. Unfortunately the article isn't online at www.ascmag.com so you'd have to find a print copy.

Hi there,

the last one?August 2008?

I am gonna look it!

As I wrote I wanna find a good book, plenty of details and rules.

At the moment I have found this book on Amazon:

Foundations of the Stereoscopic Cinema - Lenny Lipton

Michele

As I wrote I wanna find a good book, plenty of details and rules.

At the moment I have found this book on Amazon:

Foundations of the Stereoscopic Cinema - Lenny Lipton

You can download the Lipton book here:

http://www.3d.curtin.edu.au/cgi-bin/library/foundation.cgi

For Personal use only. He is quick to disparage systems he is not involved with.

This download is mostly about still work, but has the basic concepts:

http://www.3d.curtin.edu.au/cgi-bin/library/mckay.cgi

Check your library for 'Stereoscopy' by N.A.Valyus Focal Press 1966, translated from the Russian.

While there, check for 1952, '53 and '54 issues of SMPTE Journal.

You can download the Lipton book here:

http://www.3d.curtin.edu.au/cgi-bin/library/foundation.cgi

For Personal use only. He is quick to disparage systems he is not involved with.

This download is mostly about still work, but has the basic concepts:

http://www.3d.curtin.edu.au/cgi-bin/library/mckay.cgi

Check your library for 'Stereoscopy' by N.A.Valyus Focal Press 1966, translated from the Russian.

While there, check for 1952, '53 and '54 issues of SMPTE Journal.

Thank you very much indeed for your help.

I am going to read it and I will let you know something about that.

Thanks again and all the best

Michele

Thank you very much indeed for your help.

I am going to read it and I will let you know something about that.

Michele

I am still reading the book and it is very interesting. It is plenty of rules and details.

Because I am going to use a HD cameras side by side(Sony 750), and because the format is 2/3'', I think the rules about interocular distance/subject distance are different.

What do you think?

And I have found different speech about convergence.

Do someone knows something about that?

Which kind of criteria do you follow when you are shooting?

Michele

• 2 weeks later...
I am still reading the book and it is very interesting. It is plenty of rules and details.

Because I am going to use a HD cameras side by side(Sony 750), and because the format is 2/3'', I think the rules about interocular distance/subject distance are different.

What do you think?

And I have found different speech about convergence.

Do someone knows something about that?

Which kind of criteria do you follow when you are shooting?

Michele

May I ask what it is that you intend on shooting and where will it be shown? you will have a lot of trouble using unmodified 750s side by side for anything other than distant objects.

The convergence 'speak' is a friendly disagreement between the players. The maths says don't converge your cameras, keep them parallel otherwise vertical parallax will be introduced but if you keep them parallel there is more work in post to achieve correct stereo. overall it is more flexible but convergence is more instant for the director. problem is, when you're toe-ing in, if you don't separate the lens from the electronics you haven't got a hope of getting a usable i/o, so parallel cameras are likely to be your only option (this is actually good!).

your intended display size makes a big difference too...

hope that helps

May I ask what it is that you intend on shooting and where will it be shown? you will have a lot of trouble using unmodified 750s side by side for anything other than distant objects

oops, it wouldn't let me edit, so to clarify,

assuming a lens with FOV of 45 deg (24mm) with the default i/o for a 750 (looking at the specs) you're looking at a comfortable zero parallax of around 4m, you can push this closer, but depending on screen size and length of film, it isn't a great idea. There is a limit to which you can adjust stereo before pain sets in.

the i/o calc is done assuming using the primes. I don't have the specs on the lenses but it appears to me that they would affect the achievable i/o. certainly stock matteboxes will be out of the question...

• 3 weeks later...
oops, it wouldn't let me edit, so to clarify,

assuming a lens with FOV of 45 deg (24mm) with the default i/o for a 750 (looking at the specs) you're looking at a comfortable zero parallax of around 4m, you can push this closer, but depending on screen size and length of film, it isn't a great idea. There is a limit to which you can adjust stereo before pain sets in.

the i/o calc is done assuming using the primes. I don't have the specs on the lenses but it appears to me that they would affect the achievable i/o. certainly stock matteboxes will be out of the question...

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

I have found some trouble with the 750...different color temperature, one of them was a bit higher the other one, unbelievable!!So, different vertical parallax!Big problem...we can adjust it anyway.

I have already tried the D21 and they are better.The only problem, the interpupillary distance is a lot and it avoid me to keep the subject closer.

Using the parallel system is the best way, anyway.Less trouble.

One question: which rules do you use to calculate the distance to the subject?

I have found something but it doesn't include the lens and the format used(65mm,HD,35mm,16mm). And especially where I am going to project it(dimension of the screen).

Do someone have some advice?

Michele

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

I have found some trouble with the 750...different color temperature, one of them was a bit higher the other one, unbelievable!!So, different vertical parallax!Big problem...we can adjust it anyway.

I have already tried the D21 and they are better.The only problem, the interpupillary distance is a lot and it avoid me to keep the subject closer.

Using the parallel system is the best way, anyway.Less trouble.

One question: which rules do you use to calculate the distance to the subject?

I have found something but it doesn't include the lens and the format used(65mm,HD,35mm,16mm). And especially where I am going to project it(dimension of the screen).

Do someone have some advice?

Michele

not sure if you got my original message, so I'll reply here too.

a vague guide is cam_sep = f/30 is the easiest formula to use (f= dist to screen). it is what I would call the minimum guide for stereo. working your specs backwards, with a 750 being 13cm or so across, your screen depth will be 3.9m away.

this doesn't include lens either, but the simple rule of thumb is the more the zoom, the less the i/o needs to be. So effectively 3.9m will be the minimum zero parallax you can achieve.

the d21 is no good, far too wide. you will encounter differences between any cameras you use, it depends too on the rig you are using (in terms of vertical shift etc).