How do I read these characteristic curves?

• Premium Member

I was looking around here: Kodak Plus-X Neg. Film

and here: Kodak Vision 320T

and I was trying to figure out the curves and don't know much about any of them. The only one I know anything about is an exposure characteristic curve (the one that will show you how much over and under middle grey you can expose before detail is lost, that may not be the correct name for it), which I don't even see there.

Could someone explain how to read these curves or point me in a direction that could explain it well?

• Premium Member

Take a look at 5222/7222 shot in daylight at 1/50. Developer used for

this film is Kodak D-96 and normal temp. to develop is 70 degrees which

is a rather common temp. for b&w developer, centigrade. Look at Characteristic

Curve Graph. As log exposure moves from left to right,density increases sharply

or less sharply. For example moving from left to right density increases sharply

at time of 12min., compare this to less sharply at 5 min.. Notice the times are

color coded for easy indentification. Hope this helps you. You can apply this to

just about all the the curve charts except that you'll be dealing in different terms

with each one. I think if you study the terminology it will become more clear.

Greg

• Premium Member
Take a look at 5222/7222 shot in daylight at 1/50. Developer used for

this film is Kodak D-96 and normal temp. to develop is 70 degrees which

is a rather common temp. for b&w developer, centigrade. Look at Characteristic

Curve Graph. As log exposure moves from left to right,density increases sharply

or less sharply. For example moving from left to right density increases sharply

at time of 12min., compare this to less sharply at 5 min.. Notice the times are

color coded for easy indentification. Hope this helps you. You can apply this to

just about all the the curve charts except that you'll be dealing in different terms

with each one. I think if you study the terminology it will become more clear.

Greg

That's the only graph I actually mostly understand. How does log exposure translate to over/under exposure? Is 0 log exposure equal to normal exposure (averaging to middle grey)?

• Premium Member

Hello Mr. Bunnies,

The log exposure is in "Lux" seconds. As you move from left to right the

density is subject to change. Assuming film shot in daylight for 1/50. Now

I see sometimes that David Mullen ASC usually talks about 1/48 and he

knows his stuff. Now I'm not an expert yet as I'm just learning motion pic-

ture cameras. A lot of books just say to round it off to 1/50 and not having

that experience,I'm going by Kodak chart. The density of your negative will

determine the type of print you will obtain. I'm speaking less density or more

density. When I shoot still film I shoot with the Zone system. I look at the zones

I see in the subject,place my exposure on the Zone which will give me the cre-

ative look I want. Maybe I want to place overall emphasis on a white picket fence.

Maybe I want it brillant white. I always have a printable negative for my work, a

negative with good density for me,the way I want to print. Their are curve charts

also for still films,especially sheet film and are often supplied with film. Anyway

the density of the negative will determine how your negative prints. All Zones

are effected by the density of the negative. I am not familiar with printing from

negative to print for movie. Just beginning to study and learn process. For myself

I would shoot and talk to the lab. I'm getting a 16mm camera and will be shoot-

ing 7222 and I plan on talking with lab until I'm used to film,shooting etc.. Thats

a good learning process. Greg

• Premium Member

Christopher,

The curve you're refering to is avaiable for the 320 - I didn't find it for the + X - and is called sensitometric curve. The index is for the equivalent exposure of a 18% grey.

The spectral sensitivity curve gives you the sensitivity according to the the light's wavelength, ie its color.

The RMS granularity gives you the amount of grain regarding to the esxposure

The MTF curves gives you the modulation (ability to render contrast) according to the spatial frequency ie the amount of details (fine details are high spatial frequency) and is the same as modulation transfer.

EDIT>The curve named "characteristic" for the + X (I thought I'd find the sensitometric curve, there) shows the densities obtained at different developping time and is then called a gamma/time curve, since the slope of each curve gives you the contrast obtained at this different developping times. You actually could get the same kind of results by increasing temperature instead of time.

Greg : David says 1/48 because it's the speed you get when you shoot at 24 fps, like 1/50 is the speed you get at 25 fps. US video is 30 fps, 1/60 s

Edited by laurent.a