Dispelling The Kodak Mailer Mythology

xoct

i forgot this forum had a super 8 section..

john, thaks for your info off list. i appreciated it... but you could have smacked me on the head and reminded me of this part of the forum... :)

so guys give me a bottom line in regards to dewaynes... is this an acceptable place to send your film in the US? i just bought a bauerl 709 xl and just now getting into super 8. i want to get the reels back quickly and dont want to wait weeks and months for my reels to get back.

thanks....

• Premium Member
Please post your source. As far as the previous posts shows, Kodak IS NOT shipping the films to Switzerland on films originating in the United States.  They are sending them to Dwaynes.

I have never heard reports of capcity issues in Dwaynes or major quality issues that will force Kodak to look for another option.  With the recent lay-off's in Fair Lawn, the chances of looking for another K40 processing lab is remote.  There are environmental issues and the processing itself is complex.

This was discussed extensively in filmshooting.com before. Dwaynes chemist, althought not working for Kodak, was trained and certified by Kodak.

I never said Dwayes had a "capacity" issue. All I said was that Kodak WAS losing money by sending super-8 film to Switzerland and therefore were concentrating on Kodachrome processing in the United States.

Does Dwaynes currently employ a chemist? We assume they do, and how could they not?

• Premium Member
i forgot this forum had a super 8 section..

john, thanks for your info off list. i appreciated it... but you could have smacked me on the head and reminded me of this part of the forum... :)

so guys give me a bottom line in regards to dewaynes... is this an acceptable place to send your film in the US? i just bought a bauerl 709 xl and just now getting into super 8. i want to get the reels back quickly and dont want to wait weeks and months for my reels to get back.

thanks....

Since Dwaynes is currently the ONLY place to ship your Kodachrome 40 film for processing in the United States, I would recommend testing both your camera and the shipping procedure you would use to ensure you get your film back quickly, two, two tests in one!

The fastest I have gotten my film back from Dwaynes was ship out Monday before 6:00PM via Fed EX priority (has to get there in the morning) and have it returned Wednesday, usually well before Noon. Dwaynes has a reasonably priced return Fed-EX policy, they pass on the savings to you.

Remember the place that does your film transfer to video is a key issue also. Some places seem to produce more grain than others on the exact same film footage.

I use Dwayne's direct all the time with excellent results on their part. with Fed Ex.. ship Mon back by Thur. I also always get the free prep with films cleaned, spooled, on 200 or 400ft reel with 12 ft head and tail leaders. they are just as good or better than non K-40 labs i deal with.