Jan-Michael Vincent?

James Steven Beverly

Anyone know if Jan-Michael Vincent is still acting? I did some research and and found out he hasn't done a film since 2002, was living in reclusion in Mississippi in 2004 and did an interview in 2007 on The Insider. I also know he is rumored to still has an alcohol problem BUT he may be perfect at this point for one of the characters in Blood Moon Rising and if he could hold it together for 2 or 3 days might be exactly what I'm looking for. Does he still have an agent. I plan on calling SAG when we get a little closer to production but was just curious if anyone knew or had heard anything. B)

• Premium Member

There's a bit on IMDB trivia that states

"Suffered permanent damage to his voice after getting into an auto accident. Paramedics had to insert a tube down his throat and the tube damaged one of his vocal chords"

Yeah, I was aware of the car wreak BUT for this particular character, that may be an asset. This guy is a Vietnam vet that that "died" in the war, I mean his body keeps living but the war destroyed his soul, so he's an alky, a hermit, weird and a little creepy and having a f*cked up voice maybe from getting shot in the throat among other places and left for dead by the VC (the story I heard from a friend of mine who was in a CAC Marine unit which is part of what this character is based on) was the final straw that sent him over the edge and once he got home he lost it completely, dropped off the grid, became a recluse living in the deserts of Mexico, breeding wolf/dogs to survive, and living in horror of the past every day for the rest of his life. He's the mentor of the piece, the guy who give the hero the information he needs. I need someone with star quality but who is a pretty messed up. I think given what JMV has put himself through, he could do this role standing on his head. I wouldn't loop his voice at gun point! If he sounds anything like Jack Klugman, THAT'S the kind of character element you couldn't BUY if you tried. JMV IS this character. I wouldn't change a thing. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

I worked with JMV on Hit List. Believe me.. you don't want him anywhere near your Set! We had to shoot him out by 11am as he was 'passed out' by then. Literally. I remember him rolling around on the ground unable to get up crying 'Why aren't they shooting me'? Because you are un-shootable you big dummy! We shot another scene with him reclining because he could not stand up! I remember (I was Key Grip) him sitting on our Grip Truck telling us a story when he suddenly BARFED into his large plastic cup of Vodka! He continued his story as if nothing happened. Barf running down his chin. Brother, when you gross out a bunch of Grips.. you really have done something! Anyway, he was the most negative, difficult, problematic person I had/ have EVER worked with. I wish him peace and health with his Alcohol/ Coke disease.. but man, STAY AWAY!!!!!! Frankly, I am surprised he is still alive....

Edited by David Rakoczy

How about the Director Bill Lustig, Directing from his Limo.. ya his Limo! It was too 'cold'.. so Camera ran a line all the way to the Monitor in his Limo.. this went on for several nights. Ya, I'm talking real winners here. Anyway.. I learned a LOT on Shows like that and that is how it is done (as you very well know Paul). Sadly I have hit the point where I have forgotten more than I remember. We (all) have stories out the ying yang.. as most 'Hollywood' guys/gals have. Some VERY surreal! Too numerous to enumerate!

Hey, when you join the circus, expect to play with the monkeys...

I worked with JMV on Hit List. Believe me.. you don't want him anywhere near your Set! We had to shoot him out by 11am as he was 'passed out' by then. Literally. I remember him rolling around on the ground unable to get up crying 'Why aren't they shooting me'? Because you are un-shootable you big dummy! We shot another scene with him reclining because he could not stand up! I remember (I was Key Grip) him sitting on our Grip Truck telling us a story when he suddenly BARFED into his large plastic cup of Vodka! He continued his story as if nothing happened. Barf running down his chin. Brother, when you gross out a bunch of Grips.. you really have done something! Anyway, he was the most negative, difficult, problematic person I had/ have EVER worked with. I wish him peace and health with his Alcohol/ Coke disease.. but man, STAY AWAY!!!!!! Frankly, I am surprised he is still alive....

Yeah, I've heard that from other people too. Story's kinda creepy though :D but that was '89 and hopefully at 64 years old with a body ravaged by alcohol and drug abuse, he may be less a pain in the ass to deal with. Well hell, I only plan to have him on set for 1 to 3 days at the MOST with two other actors only one of which would have any dialog with him of any consequence I plan on also letting the other character handle most of the lines, keeping the dialog loose so if he f*cks it up we can still use the footage and having a couple of gorillas I know act as security on a very small closed set to handle any problems, should they arise. I did actually already plan on having him sit though most of it anyway, THAT'S assuming I can even get him or that he's even able to work at this point. He would be the "starring in" the movie but not really the star of the movie if you know what I mean. I am considering other names but BECAUSE of his affliction, he may be the biggest name I can get for what I can afford to pay and it might be worth putting up with the sh*tstorm of aggravation for the boost in foreign sales he could well generate. I can deal with a couple of day of negativity, (you should meet my family............kidding), ESPECIALLY if it means a major boost in back-end sales, We'll have to see, at this point it's all speculation at best. Hey, if anyone has another suggestion for a ex tough guy over the hill or needs to work star I could get cheap, I'm all ears.

Now THAT'S a real good suggestion. I've always liked Mr. Saxon's work and he seems like the consummate professional. The only problem I can foresee is he is working his *ss off so he may be expensive. He just completed 3 movies this year alone. BUT if there is any chance of getting him, I would definitely want to pursue it so if you can find his number and wouldn't mind, please either PM me or email me. I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks-Steve B)

• Premium Member

I'm still laughing my ass off on the JMV idea. You're already ahead of the game because he's a vodka man. Sign him with the promise of 5 bottles of Grey Goose per day. He'll sign cheap to get the good hooch. Feed him the GG for the first day or so, then get a PA to cut the bottles with Aristocrat. You could ween him down to $12.00 worth of booze a day. Shoot him 3 cam to get the whole 3 pages per day shot by noon and let him spend the rest of the day sleeping it off. This is like, "old school Hollywood".

You may laugh, but that wasn't all that far from my plan :D Your not gonna reform a committed drunk even for 1 to 3 days so the only thing you can do is use that. IF you can use his affliction as a character element, people may end up thinking he's the greatest actor they've ever seen because he's so real :rolleyes: , that's why I figure tailor make the role to the actor you get. For example is Mr. Saxon decides to come on board, I'd rewrite the character to take advantage of his strengths, just making sure the essential plot points are covered. The actual character could be conceived in a dozen different ways and still work well. For JMV he'd be a broken man, a drunk, a man destroyed by his past. For Mr. Saxon, perhaps a a man who has chosen to reject society because he misses the clarity of purpose war provides, the absolute certainty of objective and complete assurance in those you rely on that has become a recluse more comfortable with the wolf dogs he breeds than the people he must deal with back in the world. See either one will work and work well, it's just a question of contouring the character to the actor who will play him to get the best performance possible. B)

I don't think 90% of people today even know who JMV is. But this might be interesting to you:

Howard Stern interviewed Ernest Borgnine (92!!!) just last week, and that guy is a PISSER! But when JMV's name came up, Borgnine was like, "Oh--that man is a total mess." But he said it in a nicer way than I'm paraphrasing here.

So at the risk of exposing my ignorance, what work did those guys do together? I'm old enough that I SHOULD remember, but I don't.

And I don't know why, but every time JMV's name comes up, I always think of Michael Parks.

Anyone here remember HIM!?

I don't think 90% of people today even know who JMV is. But this might be interesting to you:

Howard Stern interviewed Ernest Borgnine (92!!!) just last week, and that guy is a PISSER! But when JMV's name came up, Borgnine was like, "Oh--that man is a total mess." But he said it in a nicer way than I'm paraphrasing here.

So at the risk of exposing my ignorance, what work did those guys do together? I'm old enough that I SHOULD remember, but I don't.

And I don't know why, but every time JMV's name comes up, I always think of Michael Parks.

Anyone here remember HIM!?

Yeah Micheal Parks is a terrific actor although I'm not quite sure how you could nix the 2 up. But again the problem with Mr. Parks is he's working his ass off and for Tarantino no less so I seriously doubt if I could afford him. I think more people remember JMV than you might think, I wasn't around when Ward Bond was acting, but I know who he is. I know JMV is totally f*cked up BUT the question is, is he too fu**ed up to work at all? I ain't got Tom Cruise money, I ain't even got Pauly Shore money but I just might have JMV money. I also know the days he would be on set would probably be nightmarish but Hell it's only 1 to 3 days, that's all I could probably afford him for anyway and I could handle Satan for 1 to 3 days so we'll see what happens if he's even an option. As for your question, JMV and Ernest Borgnine worked together on an 80s series called Airwolf that ran for 4 seasons