AVID MC 3.0.1/PMW-EX1/ and Variable Frame-rates

Adrian Sierkowski

• Premium Member

Hello everyone. I know this may well have been discussed before, and I apologize if it has, but after fruitless googling, I figured I'd ask here.

I have a PMW-EX1, and Avid MC 3.0.1, as well as the sony software to rewrap it as .mxfs. No problem there. So far I can get it all to go into MC w/o problems. . .but here's the problem:

I shoot in 1080psF (the 23.xxx) for some footage and create a project; no problem import the clips, no problems. Then, I need to put in some of the 720p footage shoot at variable frame rates from the EX cam (12fps/ 60fps etc. . .) It was shot 720p and I believe I had the settings for 23.xxx though it may've been 24.

Now, that won't import. I get the error message "The Edit Rate 59.94 does not match the project 23.976" and it skips over the clip.

How then, do I mix the 1080p 23.976 with this 720p 59.94 in the AVID? I have been scratching my head for 2 days now.

Let me just iterate, that 1) I am new to mac, 2) i'm used to working with tape from film, 3) i'm not an editor and 4) when i have edited, it's been with Adobe Premier Pro, or Final Cut Pro. . so AVID, while so far I love it, is a bit of a mystery to me.

Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks Jorge. Thats what I was thinking too; just wanted to see if there were any work 'rounds. I've done FCP and Premier before.. but something just gravitates me to MC... I dunno... I hate using the mouse I guess!

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that! :P I used avid a long time ago, it's very good to IN/OUT cutting (trim), i use it in Broadcast News, for that is ultra fast and good... but for long projects, things that i want totally control i prefer FCP over it!

Sorry sometimes about my English! I'm Portuguese... and it's my first time here ;)

Best Regards,

Jorge De Silva