steam

hello guys. I have a commercial coming up soon for a shower heater. The production company asked me how to achieve alot of steam in the shower. I realise this may not be appropriate for this forum, but i thought maybe there were guys on the forum who have experience with such a thing. The concept is quite simple. The only thing i am having difficulty with is how to create steam.

the idea that i have is:

Cool the bathroom down with a portable aircon, then turn the shower on Hot before the talent gets in then adjust the heat to talents liking,

My only problem with this is the fogging up of the lens, how do i avoid fogging of the lens but still have the steam of a hot shower?

regards

ken

im sure u don't want to spray anti for solution to ur lens. why not try having a case. probably something like the camera case people use to go for underwater filming.

from that case, try spraying on the case the anti-fog solution mostly used on goggles inside and out. put ur camera in and try shooting.

honestly i never tried myself. but this is the idea i could thing of

...My only problem with this is the fogging up of the lens, how do i avoid fogging of the lens but still have the steam of a hot shower?

Try heating/warming the camera (or at least the lens) prior to putting it in the humid atmosphere. A couple of hot-water bottles might do the trick.

The obvious answer is to try out before hand so you already know in advance how to prevent misting before doing it 'for real'.

ok, thanks guys. Most of the shower shots are going to be quite tight so i should be able to shoot long lens and shoot from out side of the bathroom. This should allow me to avoid the misty lens.

I haven't seen the bathroom yet, but hopefully the design of the bathroom will allow me to do that.

is there steam machine? That can create thick plooms of steam? I'm not sure there is such a thing.

ken

is there steam machine? That can create thick plooms of steam? I'm not sure there is such a thing.

ken

Maybe a carpet cleaner.

Take a trip to Home Depot to check out their rentals, and see if there's a hand attachment (there should be) to clean curtains and such. Since you're not spraying it into carpet, it may fill the air pretty well.

You could lay the attachment into a bucket, sink, etc., so you're just not spraying steam everywhere. I don't know if it would give you ENOUGH of the stuff, but it may be worth a shot. Those machines are cheap enough to rent.

hello guys. I have a commercial coming up soon for a shower heater. The production company asked me how to achieve alot of steam in the shower. I realise this may not be appropriate for this forum, but i thought maybe there were guys on the forum who have experience with such a thing. The concept is quite simple. The only thing i am having difficulty with is how to create steam.

the idea that i have is:

Cool the bathroom down with a portable aircon, then turn the shower on Hot before the talent gets in then adjust the heat to talents liking,

My only problem with this is the fogging up of the lens, how do i avoid fogging of the lens but still have the steam of a hot shower?

regards

ken

Try something like this. Provided the room is fairly closed off, this should produce some nice steam. Just used one like it to create SFX breath plates for a winter scene. It steamed up pretty good. You might need 2 in order to really kick up the humidity.

http://www.cleangrout.com/mcculloch.htm