Any info on the 16mm camera from the Pro8mm company?

Nick Centera

Hey, I am looking in at purchasing a 16mm camera and have been looking at the 16mm camera from Pro8mm. I am not sure if anyone has heard anything about this camera or has used it, but if so, please let me know. Thanks

To me, it appears to be just a refurbished Beaulieu R16 from the 1960s. Since it's from Pro8mm, it's sure to be way overpriced. If you like the Beaulieu, buy a real Beaulieu at a fraction of the price on eBay and have it serviced by a reputable technician.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

• Premium Member

Yipes. There are so many much better 16mm cameras out there for the same or less money. They want $3500 for a regular 16 non-sync Beaulieu with a 12-120. You can find real professional crystal sync Arri BLs and Eclair NPR/ACLs for much less than that. The old Beaulieus were not noted for their ruggedness or reliability, and were limited to a 100' ft load unless you had the 200' mag which wasn't very useful either. They want $6k for a S16 body only with crystal sync (even though it is an MOS camera). You can find a lot of really good silent S16 cameras with a lens for less than that.

Take a look at Arri, Eclair, Aaton, even Cinema Products CP16R.

Good luck,

Bruce Taylor

www.indi35.com

• Premium Member

I'd argue Arri is the best, but that's because i'm an Arri owner.

give a look to Visualproducts.com

but basically the Arri BL, Arri S and the like. They're older, but they'll get you through. Eclairs ACL and NPRs are also popular and you may find an Older Aaton LTR-7 or 54 in that pricce range.

I agree, Pro8mm have got a bad name for them selves for their high prices and industry technicians don't have a very high opinion of their technical expertise either! But either way they seem to be very successful at whatever they do....

In terms of what to buy for a first timer:

First 16mm camera to cut your teeth on = Definitely a Krasnogorsk 3 (Price can not be beat, good to learn on because there aren't any peculiarities)

A good first or second MOS camera, which is versatile to grow in uses latter = Bolex Rex 4 or Rex 5 (I saw one being used by a professional for time-lapse outside BBC Television Centre only last week)

A good low price sync-sound camera which can be converted to Super 16 = Eclair ACL or NPR and CP-16R

A slightly more expensive sync sound option for possible super 16 conversion = Arri SRI and SRII and Aaton LTR and later.

They want $6k for a S16 body only with crystal sync (even though it is an MOS camera). You can find a lot of really good silent S16 cameras with a lens for less than that.

Right now Visual Products is selling a refurbished CP-16R for $4900 with choice of lens. Conversion to super 16 would probably not cost that much more considering it is already refurbished!

http://www.visualproducts.com/storeProduct...=17&Cat2=31

Best of luck,

Andy

• Premium Member

Another option for an entry level camera might be a later model Canon Scoopic. The Scoopic MS was the last version made and has a great lens, is extremely easy to load and has a built in meter that makes it almost like a Super 8 camera if you want to go fully auto.

They are extremely reliable, easy to use and can be handheld.

And NO WINDING. That will save your wrist some considerable pain and allows for long shots.

Downside is a fixed lens, but in the middle f-stop range it's actually quite good.

• Premium Member
Another option for an entry level camera might be a later model Canon Scoopic.

Good one, I forgot about the old Scoopics- a great first 16mm camera. Reliable, inexpensive and easy to use.

The Bolex is also a great choice. So many inexpensive lenses and accessories are available for them and they are easily converted to S16.

Speaking of the Cinema Products CP16R, I have a nice quiet one available. Refurbished by Whitehouse no more than 1200' ago, sharp Canon 12-120 macrozoom, mags, case, battery. $1200 takes it.

Bruce Taylor

www.Indi35.com