Controling while doing hand held

How do you control the jerk while doing hand held operation? Whenever i do handheld there is a lot of jerk which i am not been able to control? I guess i have a problem, my hands shiver always, i mean in normal.

How one can control the jerk? Are there specific exercies or positions or techniques while doing handheld?

a gentle touch on the lens/handles is key. They might shake, but its your job to prevent that motion from transfering to the lens. Also use your shoulder to compensate (if its shoulder mount) little position changes can do a lot to smooth out video, and because the muscles that control shoulder height are leveraged, you have a finer touch on your shoulder. And like anything else, practice practice practice. You will start becoming aware of why and when your will have a little shake and be able to compensate/quash that as you get better.

Yeah, those little toy cameras aren't really designed to be used. They're just smaller and cheaper with less quality. <_<

So, the trick with any camera is to get it on your shoulder and MORE weight helps. Depending on what I'm shooting, of course, I try to stay as wide as possible to help alleviate any unnecessary movement. If I do have to push in, I will actually hold my breath as long as possible and then breath out slowly until the shot is over or falls apart.

How do you control the jerk while doing hand held operation? Whenever i do handheld there is a lot of jerk which i am not been able to control? I guess i have a problem, my hands shiver always, i mean in normal.

How one can control the jerk? Are there specific exercies or positions or techniques while doing handheld?

Yeah, you just have to relax and remember to always breath. Also, if you lengthen the distance between the 2 points of contact of the camera between your hands and shoulder, that will also smooth out your movement. Watch Pieces of April if you want to see a great example of jerky handheld work where the operator obviously shot HH shots with the camera literally in her hand.

If you increase the forward and rearmost mass of the rig, that will also dampen sudden jerky movement.

• Premium Member
arrrrright..........

how can we creat steady-cam like effect(if we dont have the steady-cam) while doing handheld?

You can't, it will look like handheld. With a good operator it will look like very good, smooth handheld but that's still a far cry from steadicam's look.

arrrrright..........

how can we creat steady-cam like effect(if we dont have the steady-cam) while doing handheld?

i think to minimize jerk while you handheld is sport.eg. jogging or swimming to training your breath

or you can take yoga class...in indonesia i know some DP that can handheld 535 with 1000ft mags in with very good way..sport is the answer

• Premium Member
i think to minimize jerk while you handheld is sport.eg. jogging or swimming to training your breath

or you can take yoga class...in indonesia i know some DP that can handheld 535 with 1000ft mags in with very good way..sport is the answer

That may be but it won't look like steadicam. It will look like good handheld. They are different.

Also, please change your display name to your full first and last name, Firdaus. It's a forum policy.