lighting and film stock!?

I'm shooting my first Film in 3 weeks. The film takes place in a medical lab/classroom and focuses on the dialogue between Medical Students and a cadaver thats being examined.

I am shooting at night and inside, with an Arriflex 16m.

As Film student I will have to make due with 3 lights: two 2K tungsten Redheads and one 3K tungsten Blonde, i can chose between Tungsten and Daylight Kodak Film stock.

I'm going for the CSI Miami ` look; the obvious blues seen in these scenes.

As I'm shooting inside I think I should take the Tungsten film stock! But I am still confused to what kind of light that will produce? <_<

Should I shoot on the Tungsten stock and put CTB on my background lights?

• Premium Member

Ungelled tungsten lights on tungsten-balanced film stock will render neutral (white) so yes, if you want some tungsten lights to appear bluer than others, you need to gel them blue.

Ungelled tungsten lights on daylight-balanced film would render orange.

So you could use tungsten lights with daylight film if you want an orange effect and you can use HMI lights on tungsten film for a blue effect.

Telecine... or Film to Tape Transfer.

Be sure to shoot your Color Chart at the head of Roll #1 (with an 85 on) so everything after that (without) an 85 will be Bluish. Unless you use Blue gels, then shoot the Color Chart normal under Tungsten Lights without an 85. Or, you could shoot your Color Chart with Tungsten Light, Tungsten Film and (with) an 85.. this way the Timer/ Colorist will see the Chart as too Orange and add Blue to get the Chart to look Normal.. then everything after that will be Bluish.

Good Luck!

Edited by David Rakoczy

Unfortunately I can't get my hands on an 85 Filter for this shoot!

I have another question.. I've now got my film stock Vision 3 Kodak 500T! What if I throw some green gels over some of the tungsten lights here and there? And do florescent lights come out green on Tungsten Film?

Thanks

Ok?

For your Day interior work, shoot the Color Chart under Tungsten Light. The (uncorrected-no 85 Daylight) coming into the Classroom will go Blue.. use HMIs along with this Daylight.

For your Night work, you can Gel the Lamps to your Blue.. or use the (Tungsten) Lamps straight and add a FULL CTO to your Tungsten Color Chart Lamp.. the Colorist will see the Chart as too Warm and will add Blue to get it to 'normal'.. then your Shots after that Chart will have a Blue tone to them.

The deal with CSI is HEAVY Color Correction in Post... grabbing Colors and really saturating them.

Why did they just 'give' you 19? Didn't you have a choice in Stocks? Can't believe they don't have an 85 and set of Straight and 85 NDs (?).

Anyway to run a Test?