saving money on filters

Nick Norton

Still in an effort to gather all of the necessary supplies for situations i'm sure to face while shooting with my Eclair ACL.

Filters are one issue i'm having trouble deciding on.

I do not have enough money to purchase a mattebox at the moment, so i'm trying to decide between round screw-on filters and gelatin filters.

I figured gelatins would be cheaper, but it looks like on filmtools they can be 30-60 bucks a piece! Knowing these won't last nearly as long as a glass filter i'm leaning towards glass.

And as for optical quality, if i am shooting with an Angenieux zoom... would it make sense to just buy the cheapest ones i find? (still Tiffen or B+W, just not the really nice ones)

Thanks-

Nicholas

• Premium Member

I would strongly recommend glass filters in a proper mattebox. . . It's an investment that will last you a long time and be able to work with different cameras/lenses. . . I know there is some sticker shock. . .but you get what you pay for in this business a lot of the time.

The thing about gels is that while they may cost 30-60 a piece, you don't use a whole gel at once. You cut the gel, to fit the holder, and can normally get about 3 or 4 individual gels out of one package. The other thing is, depending on what you are shooting, if you are using a Bolex, it would be nice to not have to look through stacked ND in an older eyepiece. It seems on this forum a lot of people are against using behind the lens gels- I think it is most likely a more American thing, because of the prevalence of Arri in Europe- but I will say that, in bright say exteriors shooting on tungsten stuck, when you're using an 85N9, shooting at a T4 or T5.6, it can be hard to see anything! Yes, the gels will not last forever, and yes they can get expensive. But if you are doing casual shooting, and buy some gels, they should last you a decent amount of time before you have to buy any more.

Just so you know, I'm not sure where the filter holder is in the Eclair is in relation to the gate. I am speaking from in regards to the Panavision system, where the gel is in a safe place to not photograph minor imperfections on the film. Modern Arri cameras also have a gel slot, but it is located in the gate, so very, very few people use them because the slightest imperfection will be photographed due to the proximity to the film. If the gel slot is located in a risky place in your Eclair, then do not use gels, and go for glass filters.

Edited by Mike Panczenko

• Premium Member

Mike, I was under the impression he was speaking of the gel resin filters, as opposed to the lighiting gel mounted as you would in a bolex. my reason for this assumption is his mention of tiffen and b+w who, as far as I know, only manufacture glass and resin filters....

The other thing is, depending on what you are shooting, if you are using a Bolex, it would be nice to not have to look through stacked ND in an older eyepiece. but I will say that, in bright say exteriors shooting on tungsten stuck, when you're using an 85N9, shooting at a T4 or T5.6, it can be hard to see anything!

This situation/problem would occur whether the filters were gels or glass, correct?

-nicholas

Cokin-style filters are what Adrian is referring to, but these generally fit inside a matte box like glass filters (although Cokin does sell a wonky clip-on holder used more for still lenses). These are neat, cheap solutions, but I wouldn't rely on them as high-end, optically pure filtration.

Nick, since a matte box is something you consider out of the question, I think that the wratten gel filters are your best bet. I've never really encountered screw-on filters in the cine world, but maybe I've just been lucky?

Appendix A: The Eclair ACL has a gel slot?! It has been a looong time since I last held one of these puppies!

Appendix B: Yeah, Philly represent?

Appendix A: The Eclair ACL has a gel slot?! It has been a looong time since I last held one of these puppies!

Yeah the ACL does indeed have a gel slot believe it or not! One of the things Aaton felt was not worth it to copy :P

And I concur- a beer for the Philadelphians, even for a neo-Philadelphian like myself, would be wonderful!

• Premium Member

Sometime soon; just let me know. I'm partial to a little place called Cantina in S. Phila; but, so long as there's good beer. . .I mean, after the Phillies thing; I think we deserve it...

As for filters, etc, is there a standard size behind the lens? Just curious, though I doubt it?

Guest Glen Alexander

gels, go with Kodak don't screw around with Lee or anything else.

glass go with B+W, expensive but last much longer, scratch resistant.

forget the matte box, big, bulky, heavy, unless you're shooting with 85's/color corrections or need special diffusers, day for night, frost, fluro, etc

• 2 weeks later...
Cokin-style filters are what Adrian is referring to, but these generally fit inside a matte box like glass filters (although Cokin does sell a wonky clip-on holder used more for still lenses). These are neat, cheap solutions, but I wouldn't rely on them as high-end, optically pure filtration.

The holder ring screws in, but are you actually contesting that Cokin isn't as optically pure as other brand filters out there?