Kodak Ektachrome 160 Pre 1990s Processing

Dave Lasayko

Hi,

I have two rolls of Kodak Ektachrome 160 Color Super 8 Film That I Recently Shot Footage On For A Classic Washed Out Look. I Sent Them To Dwaynes Unaware That They Do Not Handle That Type Of Process Of The 160. One Roll Is 1979 And The Other Is 1985 I Believe, On Expiration Dates. I've Priced Rocky Mountian And Film Rescue , Close To $50.00/ Roll . Are There Any Other Companies That Might Be Able To Give Me A Better Deal On Prcocessing These Older Films? Any Help Or Suggestions Will Be Much Appreciated.

Dave

I'm not aware of anyone else.

When I shot a roll of '96 stock in 2001, knowing the stock was discontinued, I checked beforehand that Kodak were still processing it and they said they were. Had they said no I would not have used it. Turns out I was misinformed and I had to go to Rocky Mountain, although they only charged abut $20-odd then. That advice doesn't help you this time, but now you know- check first.

30 years is a long time for colour stock in any case. I don't think Rocky Mountain will even guarantee to produce an image.

It's pretty unlikely you'll have a usable image and $50 is a sizeable gamble anyway. Nowadays people get the sort of effect you're after in post-production, on video. Sorry.

They do say that they only run some really old processes occasionally, when they've collected enough film to justify mixing up a batch of the appropriate soup. If you wanted it right away you'd probably have to put a nought on the price.