Filmo D8

Paul Bruening

• Premium Member

I ran some searches here and didn't find the info I wanted on double run 8mm systems. What's the story on these? Do they run 16mm film or did they take some kind of specialized film stock? I'm looking at Filmo and Sportster D8s on Sleazebay.

Double-8 is just another name for 8mm, renamed standard-8 when Super-8 came out. The 25' film is 16mm wide but is run once in each direction then split after processing. The perfs are the same size as 16mm but at half the pitch. I think the cameras you refer to are this type.

A few cameras were made to run double Super-8. The principle is the same but the perfs are Super-8.

• Premium Member
Double-8 is just another name for 8mm, renamed standard-8 when Super-8 came out. The 25' film is 16mm wide but is run once in each direction then split after processing. The perfs are the same size as 16mm but at half the pitch. I think the cameras you refer to are this type.

A few cameras were made to run double Super-8. The principle is the same but the perfs are Super-8.

Sorry, I'm not following you. Can a D8 camera run ordinary 16mm stock or will it require a stock unique to its design?

Sorry, I'm not following you. Can a D8 camera run ordinary 16mm stock or will it require a stock unique to its design?

As I understand it, it's 16mm film, but has twice the number of holes on each side, so it would be unique.

I can confirm/deny this when I get home tonight and do a side by side with a strip of each.

• Premium Member

Thanks, fellas. I was wondering if D8 would be a way to get around the high cost of 8mm cartridges and processing by using common 16mm film. Looks like I'm barking up the wrong tree.

The perf holes in 16mm film make it difficult to convert a 16mm camera to run the film through twice behind an 8mm gate. I was wondering if D8 had solved that. I didn't know the film was a different spec.