fuzzy frame edges on a K3

Jason Debus

• Premium Member

My first roll in my 'new' K3 has fuzzy frame edges. I'm guessing most if not all of the fuzziness is from small hairs and fibers around the film gate. I was going to run a q-tip with alcohol around the gate to clean it but I thought I'd better ask before I unknowingly ruin it or something. Any advice is appreciated!

fuzzy frame edge:

post-7451-1224750248.jpg

My first roll in my 'new' K3 has fuzzy frame edges. I'm guessing most if not all of the fuzziness is from small hairs and fibers around the film gate. I was going to run a q-tip with alcohol around the gate to clean it but I thought I'd better ask before I unknowingly ruin it or something. Any advice is appreciated!

fuzzy frame edge:

Cleaning around the gate as you describe isn't going to cause any great problems. You'll probably find most/all of the dirt is outside the TV Safe area anyway, so don't worry too much.

Whilst you're busy, probably worth carefully cleaning out all dust, film residue etc. from around the film chamber, drive sprocket, pressure plate, gate etc. etc. etc. You can't get the camera too clean!

On ALL of the edges?

Hey--don't forget the lens. Get into the corners with a toothpick and suitable paper cleaner to make sure it's spotless in that groove there all the way around.

Couldn't hurt.

Cleaning the lens is a good idea, but dirt on the lens won't give such sharply defined dirt as is shown in the example. To get that the dirt needs to be very close to the plane of focus - ie. in the gate. Dirt on the lens would typically give softness, reduced contrast, flares, etc. etc.

I'd be very careful about waving anything more than lens cleaner and a cloth over the lens. Don't forget that any dirt right at the edge of the lens is outside the area of the image projected onto the film anyway.

...Oh, and dirt seen at the top of the image will be located at the bottom of the gate! ;)

• Premium Member

I should have made it clear that the posted image is not from a professional scan or telecine, it was just a snip off the head of the roll on my $100 flatbed scanner so I'm not sure the full frames are worth posting. The images looked good projected, I especially like the snappy colors 7285 gives. It was just a test roll to make sure there aren't any major light leaks in the camera, film scratching, etc.

Thanks for the advice Ian!

Well I can see enough to tell the edge of the gate isn't very clean, and judging by its sharpness it'll be pretty close to, or in, the gate.

As you've already projected the film I guess you've discovered most if not all of that dirt isn't visible. The projector aperture is smaller than the camera gate size... of course whilst projecting you might be seeing dirt in the gate of the projector as well! ;)

TV transmission area is much the same as the projector aperture, but the TV safe area is smaller again - something to bare in mind whilst filming, as there aren't TV safe guides marked on the camera ground glass. Putting somebody's head at the top of the frame in the camera will likely leave the top chopped off when viewed on TV afterwards! :huh:

You can purchase orangewood sticks in bulk from a beauty or manicurist supply store for a fraction of the price film supply companies charge. They're great for cleaning gates because they're too soft to scratch the metal but hard enough to dislodge debris and built up emulsion.