Cooke Zoom 9-50 T2.5 (S16) review

Shooting a S16 short and considering renting the Cooke Zoom 9-50mm T2.5 Lens, but have never worked with it. I have access to a Canon 8-64mm, however, the film's aesthetic lends itself to late 1960s, early 1970s new Hollywood (i.e. "Harold and Maude," "Five Easy Pieces," etc.), so i am considering renting the lens to try to get a more diffused ("aged?") look. Anyone ever work with this lens? Perks? Faults? Thanks.

The Cooke 9-50 does not cover Super-16. There are two versions of this lens that do, a Cooke 10.4-52 and a 3rd party conversion that is a 11-60. It is a very clean, sharp lens with nice contrast and a slightly warm look. If you're looking for something a little fuzzy with poorer contrast, try to dig up an old Angenieux zoom, like a 15-150. There are other sizes like 9.5-57, 10-150, 12-120 and 12-240 but these do not cover Super-16 at all focal lengths.

• 2 weeks later...

I was told the Canon 8-64 was an old video lens when i saw one, and the guy who gave it to me for filming said he hated it because of the lack in contrast at high apertures. Alltough i'm not a very experienced s16mm shooter i would advise you to stay out of low light conditions with the canon ( everything under ~ F 3.0 = bad ). That is, if you're gonna use it.

Greetings

I was told the Canon 8-64 was an old video lens when i saw one, and the guy who gave it to me for filming said he hated it because of the lack in contrast at high apertures. Alltough i'm not a very experienced s16mm shooter i would advise you to stay out of low light conditions with the canon ( everything under ~ F 3.0 = bad ). That is, if you're gonna use it.

Greetings

The Canon is pretty contrasty at most stops and doesn't really match the look from the 1960 or 1970s. It's not that bad wide open compared to most zooms, although it improves closed down a stop. Quite a few camera people swore by them when they came out.

• Premium Member
The Canon is pretty contrasty at most stops and doesn't really match the look from the 1960 or 1970s. It's not that bad wide open compared to most zooms, although it improves closed down a stop. Quite a few camera people swore by them when they came out.

That's my experience with them. I love them for a good all around zoom when I shoot S16. If I can't get one of the newer gen zeiss T2 11-110s I get one of the canons.

• 14 years later...