Can't see all footage

Tom Hepburn

I have a 130 Gig AVI file that I'm trying to import into Premier Pro. It is super16 film transferred to my hard drive at 23.98fps (1920 x 1080). The total time of the clip is around 22 minutes. However whenever I import it into Premier (or AfterEffects for that matter) is shows the clip at just over a minute.

I can confirm that it's 22 minutes because, although it can't play realtime in Window Media Player, I can still see the footage. It also is confirmed in the properties of the file.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm running Window XP and CS3.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

• Premium Member

I've had AVIs that big and bigger in Premeire Pro 2 and not had an issue. Have you tried retransferring it from the hard disk to whetever you're cutting from, or viewing it in some other application (such as virtualdub)?

If all other apps see the full length, you may have a broken file that they know how to repair and Premiere doesn't, or it may be a glitch in Premiere - but as I say, I've not seen it.

P

I've had AVIs that big and bigger in Premeire Pro 2 and not had an issue. Have you tried retransferring it from the hard disk to whetever you're cutting from, or viewing it in some other application (such as virtualdub)?

If all other apps see the full length, you may have a broken file that they know how to repair and Premiere doesn't, or it may be a glitch in Premiere - but as I say, I've not seen it.

P

Thanks for the info Phil. Since I paid a nice penny to get it transferred so I'd like to be able to use it!

I also found this recent article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927544

Tom

• Premium Member
Thanks for the info Phil. Since I paid a nice penny to get it transferred so I'd like to be able to use it!

I also found this recent article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927544

Tom

Hey Tom,

Editing with computers is always about jumping hurdles with few quick answers available. I read from the link that you provided that the AVI GB limit applies to the below listed OS's. IIRC Vista was built on Server and has many of it's limitations. But, you said you were running XP. Are you operating with DirectX 9.0 or Media Encoder 9?

? Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Runtime

? Windows Media Encoder 9 Series

? Windows Server 2008 Datacenter without Hyper-V

? Windows Server 2008 Enterprise without Hyper-V

? Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems

? Windows Server 2008 Standard without Hyper-V

? Windows Server 2008 Datacenter

? Windows Server 2008 Enterprise

? Windows Server 2008 Standard

? Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition

? Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit Edition

? Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition

? Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition

? Windows Vista Business

? Windows Vista Business 64-bit Edition

? Windows Vista Enterprise

? Windows Vista Home Basic

? Windows Vista Home Premium

? Windows Vista Ultimate

Are you operating with DirectX 9.0 or Media Encoder 9?

? Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Runtime

? Windows Media Encoder 9 Series

? Windows Server 2008 Datacenter without Hyper-V

? Windows Server 2008 Enterprise without Hyper-V

? Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems

? Windows Server 2008 Standard without Hyper-V

? Windows Server 2008 Datacenter

? Windows Server 2008 Enterprise

? Windows Server 2008 Standard

? Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition

? Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit Edition

? Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition

? Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition

? Windows Vista Business

? Windows Vista Business 64-bit Edition

? Windows Vista Enterprise

? Windows Vista Home Basic

? Windows Vista Home Premium

? Windows Vista Ultimate

Although I can't be 100% until I get home, I believe I do have Media Encoder 9 Series. I'm not sure about Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Runtime, but that also sounds familiar.

I'm hoping that one of the "hotfixes" at that link will work.

Thanks,

Tom

Well, bad news for me. I used those hotfixes and it still doesn't work. I'm bummed, as I have 22 minutes of what appears to be decently shot S16 footage that I can't edit.

Another issue may be the 1.5 gig of RAM I have. I'm going to double that this weekend, but I'm not feeling confident that this will solve this particular problem.

I do have one other option at this point. I have a friend who has a small company and uses Macs exclusively. They have Final Cut Studio on a MAC. However, if I can use that option I still have the problem (speaking from experience) of somehow getting those gigs worth of AVI on a PC formatted hard drive, to a Quicktime on the Mac. If anyone has some insight on how to best do that, I would appreciate it. I'm pretty sure that since my hard drive is PC formatted NTFS that it will not show up on a Mac. It's a 400 gig and has a firewire and USB out.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

• Premium Member

NTFS is read on mac as far as I know. you can't write to it, but you should be able to read off of it onto the mac hard drive. I can't reacall 100% but I don't think that FCP has a problem ingesting an .avi; after all it's just a wrapper, so long as the actual codec is supported on the machine (DV codec/DVCProHD as an example).

Nothing yet Paul. Thanks for asking.

I've got a call in to the place that transferred it. Hopefully they will offer some insight in terms of the capture.

I'm also getting some more RAM tomorrow which will bring my system up to 3 gig. Hopefully one of those two things will make a difference.

If that doesn't work I have contacted my friend. I asked him if he would rent me a Mac to use on location.

He said "yes, better yet, why don't we swap, I'll let you use the computer in exchange for some animation work."

So I may take him up on that if the other options don't work. At least it won't be money out of my pocket. I'm really looking forward to seeing my footage in real time.

Tom

• Premium Member
I've got a call in to the place that transferred it. Hopefully they will offer some insight in terms of the capture.

Tom

I wonder if they could re-wrap the data in a file format that your system could handle. Shipping's a pain but it might be a cheap solution. See if you can get samples on DVD to test your system against their available file formats.

I wonder if they could re-wrap the data in a file format that your system could handle. Shipping's a pain but it might be a cheap solution. See if you can get samples on DVD to test your system against their available file formats.

That's the strange thing: I got a 3 gig test file via ftp and it worked fine.

I may end up sending my hard drive back:( Or, I just might download ftp again....for 4 days! I'll save on shipping.

I'm not giving up yet. I may even try to use WMP Trimmer to break it into pieces.

Thank for the help thus far.

Tom

I suppose it could be the hard drive bouncing around, but then I would think I wouldn't see any footage. Stranger things have happened I'm sure.

Anyway, the RAM made no difference except to show that the problem still persists, a little faster.

I did manage to convert the file to an avi using the h264 codec, thus compressing it and making it a file that is 1.5 gigs. Quite a reduction in file size, but the same results except that I was able to see a full 2 minutes from that file. A modern day Twilight Zone.

Right now, I'm wiping out all Adobe and reinstalling. I'm ironing my white flag-getting it ready.

Tom

Well, I'm about ready to wave the white flag here.

The extra RAM made no difference.

It's been suggested that it could be that the hard drive is too slow? I've used both a firewire and usb hard drive with the same file and still only a minute imports into premier pro and aftereffects.

What are other people using for High Definition storage? Do I need a SATA set up?

As always, thanks,

Tom

• Premium Member

Sorry I didn't stop by this thread for a bit.

What you have does not sound like a hardware problem. I wouldn't have expected RAM to fix it and I don't expect it's a problem with hard disks. These issues might make it slow (possibly very slow) but it shouldn't cause Premiere to misreport the duration.

It may be a problem with a broken file; a file that some applications are smart enough to fix and some aren't, although both Windows Media Player and Premiere are, unless you are using special plugins or hardware with Premiere, using the same underlying software layer to access the file.

How exactly are you doing this? Have you copied the file from the disk it arrived on to another? Have you tried accessing it directly from the disk? What filesystem is on the disk?

P

I'd probably try finding an Avid or final cut system then chopping it up and see if that fixes the problem.

Importing one file that big is just asking for trouble imo, unless you have some insane setup.

The only problem I find with re-exporting files is that I always have to do it in un-compressed. And then you have stupidly difficult and big files.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

A quick update:

I used some freeware, I don't have the name with me, to convert the AVI file to a targa file sequence. I was then able to bring them into Premiere Pro and interpret then at 23.976.

I'm definitely on the slower end end of the processing power scale, but for now, this will have to do. I have a friend who told me his work offers him a "Friends and Family" mac program. I can't say "tax return" quick enough.

I've copied the file to a different drive, as well as cut the movie file in half and still only a portion of the footage came in.

NTFS is the file system

Thanks for all of the help folks! I appreciate it. I'll post some short clips soon.

Tom