stark look

Hello all,

I'm currently prepping for a short, which I'll be shooting on the Ex1 with a P+S Technik Lens Adapter and Mk3 Superspeeds. I'm keen to go for a fairly sharp, harsh lighting aesthetic that will really push the shape, direction and angle of light, whilst also creating equally strong shadows. The film takes place in a living room during the day with several windows (mostly along one side of the room) acting as light sources. I am fairly certain that lights will be needed to achieve the desires effect as natural light will most probably be too diffused. I've attached a still photograph, which will hopefully give an indication of what I'm talking about.

And now the questions...

Firstly, what lights would people recommend I use through the windows (I am guessing fairly punchy HMIs, we're on a low budget so anything bigger than a 1.2K will probably be out of our range). I am keen to see clear shapes of the windows as they hit the inside walls and ground.

Secondly, if anyone could suggest photographs or films embodying a similar aesthetic, I'd be really keen to have a peek.

Last of all, will I be able to achieve a look this stark on digital? I'd be aiming for a similar level of separation on skin tones as seen in the photo.

Thanks very much for your time, it's greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Edward Goldner

post-29107-1226756087.jpg

Edited by Edward Goldner

to get that look you need small unit far away to get that kind of sharp shadows

you can do it with big H.M.I or you can use mirror to bounce the sun or to bounce the H.M.I

so you will get sharp shadow

to handle the high contrast you can add some fill light inside to room (bounced to the celling)

• Premium Member

He hit it on the head. A 1200 isn't really going to put a dent in that look so you'll want to bounce sunlight. To get something like that picture, a mirror or two high enough that the window frame cuts it from the top and then a shinyboard through a silk for fill. Maybe, depending on the time of day and the facing of the windows, the fill will take care of itself.

Does the light actually need to come through the windows or have the appearance of coming through the windows?

A source 4 or any light with a focusable beam and a gobo will allow you to get that sharp definition. Put a wide lens on it and you'd get that spread no problem and from inside the room... all thats left would be colour correction.