Bell & Howell 240

Cohen Phillips

I was going to get this camera, but I didn't know anything about the camera. Does it take 100ft spools? Just wanted to know alittle more info before I got the cam. The cam comes with a BELL & HOWELL 1 1/2 X WIDE ANGLE LENS. ALSO BELL & HOWELL 2 X TELEPHOTO LENS. Can you put other lens on it ect? It has an electric eye on there as well.

If I get the cam I'm planning to just test out film stocks/lighting and such with it. Thanks in advance for the help guys. I've already "googled" it and didn't come up with any info. <_<

I have two of these. A single lens model and a three lens turret one. I also have a manual which is mostly readable. I can make a copy of the manual for you.

The camera does take 100' spools, takes C-mount lenses, has variable speeds and single frames. Quality is comparable to a B&H model 70.

Edited by Herb Montes

Herb, your a life saver! :) Yeah if you wouldn't mind making a copy and sending it to me that would be wonderfully. Have you tested any film in your camera? How did it come out? What kind of battery does the electric eye take?

You can email me the manual here at my gmail account, cohenfilm@gmail.com

I've got plenty of space there. Thanks and hope to talk with you soon. :D

I have two of these.  A single lens model and a three lens turret one.  I also have a manual which is mostly readable.  I can make a copy of the manual for you.

The camera does take 100' spools, takes C-mount lenses, has variable speeds and single frames.  Quality is comparable to a B&H model 70.

Edited by HTTK

I have shot film with a single lens model I had years ago. I used it to film my first animaiton on 16mm until I got a Bolex. These two I got recently but haven't tested them with film yet but will soon. Neither has the electric eye. I will scan and send you the manual. The top of some pages are a water damaged but it is still useful. The camera itself is a good basic one to film on the run.

• 1 year later...
I was going to get this camera, but I didn't know anything about the camera. Does it take 100ft spools? Just wanted to know alittle more info before I got the cam. The cam comes with a BELL & HOWELL 1 1/2 X WIDE ANGLE LENS. ALSO BELL & HOWELL 2 X TELEPHOTO LENS. Can you put other lens on it ect? It has an electric eye on there as well.

If I get the cam I'm planning to just test out film stocks/lighting and such with it. Thanks in advance for the help guys. I've already "googled" it and didn't come up with any info. <_<

I'm interested to know about these diopter lenses because the 240EE wasn't c-mount. Did they come with extra finder lenses too? I often wondered why the 240EE had a finder lens.

Also is there a cable release socket for the single frame on the 240EE??

love

Freya

Edited by Freya

I'm interested to know about these diopter lenses because the 240EE wasn't c-mount. Did they come with extra finder lenses too? I often wondered why the 240EE had a finder lens.

Also is there a cable release socket for the single frame on the 240EE??

love

Freya

The single frame release socket on all my 240s is on the bottom of the plate the lens mounts to. Usually it's covered by a screw but sometimes there is just a threaded hole.

Since I last posted in this thread over a year ago I got a third model 240. A twins lens turret model as well as another manual in better condition. Here are recent pictures of my three cameras.

bh240d8zz.th.jpg

bh240c3sq.th.jpg

bh240b9sb.th.jpg

bh240a9lz.th.jpg

The single frame release socket on all my 240s is on the bottom of the plate the lens mounts to. Usually it's covered by a screw but sometimes there is just a threaded hole.

Since I last posted in this thread over a year ago I got a third model 240. A twins lens turret model as well as another manual in better condition. Here are recent pictures of my three cameras.

bh240d8zz.th.jpg

bh240c3sq.th.jpg

bh240b9sb.th.jpg

bh240a9lz.th.jpg

Found it herb thanks! Yes its a screw hole on the "chin" under the 240EE lens. On the EE it is on the black part as opposed to the silver lens mount plate thing but it is there! :)

Wow I've never seen the 3 lens turret version! Looks great!

love

Freya

• 5 months later...
I was going to get this camera, but I didn't know anything about the camera. ...

I used to have a 240, I forget which version, but it did not have the electric eye. A couple of comments:

The automatic threading is sort of like on a Bolex. What it lacks is an automatic loop restorer, which the newer Bolex models have above serial 100401. I took my 240 on a plane trip and the engine vibration lost the loop, which was not restored, and the rest of the roll was a blur.

The electric eye is, as I recall, a self-generating selenium cell with no battery. If you are lucky it will still work well. If not...

The registration is excellent. It runs quite a lot of footage on one winding. Basically a nice camera, and the only 16mm camera that violated B&H's rule of "50' mags for amateurs, 100' spools for pros."

I just got one of these 240's with 2 lenses. Does anyone know where one could pick up a manual or more information? There is very little available online.

Here is a picture: http://i2.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/b2/1c/95_12.JPG

As a bonus, does anyone have a link to footage shot with this camera? Thanks!

I also recently acquired a two lens version so my collection now has three of them. And it came with a more clearer manual than the previous one I had. In fact the manual covers all three models. If I can find the time I can scan this manual to send to anyome who needs it. I have yet to shoot film with these cameras since I have so many others to film with (3 Bolexes and 2 K100s).

The electric eye is, as I recall, a self-generating selenium cell with no battery. If you are lucky it will still work well. If not...

I'm afraid the eye on the 240EE is in fact battery powered, or maybe it is a selenium cell but it requires a battery to move the lens to the right setting, but either way it requires a battery, and a weird one at that. I think the battery power comes to 9volts (two 4.5volts?) but don't quote me you will have to research it. If I am right it might be possible to rewire it to a pp3, perhaps through a dummy load???

love

Freya