Is this a good deal?

gsheffer

Wow, they really think they can get that much for this converted lens in this economy!

I wouldn't buy it myself, but then I am not in the market for a converted Zeiss lens.

How badly do you want it? If you are not shooting a lot of S16 regularly or are not shooting a feature soon with it soon, it p'bly be better to rent than to own.

Tim Carroll and others can probably give you a better technical opinion on this particular item.

• Premium Member

I agree with Saul and Adrian, way overpriced.

Other things to keep in mind. Those converted lenses start life as Zeiss 10-100 T2 lenses. There were really nice examples of that lens out there, and some not quite as nice examples of that lens out there. Many folks didn't know the difference as it was at times subtle. But it made a pretty big difference if you were going to have the lens converted. If you had a not quite as nice example, the conversion made it worse, because the conversion is just the addition of a teleconverter on the end of the lens, and any problems with the lens were then multiplied by the teleconverter.

Zeiss did make another lens, the 11-110 T2.2, which is a lens that started out at Zeiss as a Super 16 lens and does not need a teleconverter added to the end. I always felt the glass was better in the 11-110 than it was in the 10-100, and without the addition of the teleconverter, it is a much nicer, cleaner, sharper lens.

127808645695032500.jpg

Last one I saw of those sold for $4800.

Just some thoughts.

Best,

-Tim