Best Setting for HDW-750

Alessandro Ficano

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, i'm search a best setting for this camera (vivid color, high gamma, high contrast).

Can help me?

Ciao.

I suspect that the reason that there's been a lack of answers could be that no one here has created this effect "in camera" with the HDW 750 rather than during the post. There are settings around to get the best dynamic range etc, from the HDW750, but to create a special visual effect like this, I suspect you'll need to experiment for yourself inside the paint menu.

• Premium Member
I suspect that the reason that there's been a lack of answers could be that no one here has created this effect "in camera" with the HDW 750 rather than during the post. There are settings around to get the best dynamic range etc, from the HDW750, but to create a special visual effect like this, I suspect you'll need to experiment for yourself inside the paint menu.

I've only used the F900.

In that camera, there are some preset Gamma Table options, some more contrasty than others. Crushing the Master Black level a little also helps add contrast and improve saturation. Later models of the F900 had an actual Saturation control.

Since adding saturation and increasing contrast actually throws away some information and decreases dynamic range, most of us would save it for the post color-correction phase unless you had to hand in the footage more or less corrected in-camera.

• 1 month later...

As David says, if you do this in camera you better be damn sure that your Director wants that look because you can get rid of as much information as you like in post, but you can't get it back. I have just recently begun testing the 750P, so will let you know what I find if you are interested. The camera doesn't (I believe) have the HyperGamma (film "emulation) curves that the 900 and 790 do. However, if you want to bump up saturation, you can do so by going to the matrix menus and adding to each of the 6 options (I have been told to start at +10 and maybe try +15). Interestingly, most people I know with practical experience with the camera actually desaturate, de-sharpen etc etc... I think this is part of getting rid of the video look.

You would also be well advised, if you haven't tried it already, to try out some filters. You might be pleasantly surprised at what some of them can do for you, much better than just shooting flat and doing it "in post"" - it makes you, as a DP/Cameraman worthwhile!

• Premium Member
Add-on to above message:

I have read some conflicting things about the HDW-750P's gamma curves. Anyone confirm if it does/doesn't have them and if it does where they can be found?

I'll see if I can help. This is NOT an F900. It's a less expensive video camera made more for TV/doc shooting. It has the same basis as the F900 in terms of electronics without the range. It has adjustable gammas as do all professional video cameras. It's 10 bit as opposed to 12 bit on the F900. It has less range than an F900 in terms of exposure/contrast and simpler handling of both low and upper exposure. I could continue but I think you get the point. It's a camera designed for the market below episodic TV. Still makes a nice picture though. Has many of the same menus as a 900 designed for engineering and proper camera adjustment.