Most versitle kodak film for s16?

Hunter Hampton

• Premium Member

Just wanted some opinions on what the most adaptable film from kodak would be. I am new to s16 and I just got an a-minima which takes kodak film only. I was thinking 7217 because its a decent speed for indoors but its also not so fast that after an 85, you wouldn't have to throw a ton of ND in front of the lens for outdoor use.

Thanks for your tips!

• Premium Member

'17 in my book. With an 85 it's 125 ASA which lets me drop in NDs if need be, or get a deep stop in less than ideal conditions. and often I can get by rating it @ 200 with just what's in the room when I'm under T. I like the stock and if I'm stuck on a budget and can't afford anything else, that's what I'd reach for.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the combination of Kodak's 7217 and 7218/19 is a unbeatable combination. I agree with David on the Fuji's 250T as well. The two Kodak stocks I just said also work very well together as in matching, I ran into a problem where I ran out of the '17 and I took the '18 and rated at 320 to clean it up grain wise and it intercut perfectly with the already existing '17 footage in a short I did.

• Premium Member
Just wanted some opinions on what the most adaptable film from kodak would be. I am new to s16 and I just got an a-minima which takes kodak film only.

Hunter,

Just wondering what lenses you are using with the Aaton. I have one of those cameras and I always seem to end up with one of these three stocks: 7201/50D, 7205/250D and 7218 or 19/500T.

-Fran