Where does this kind of flare come from?

Jamie Metzger

Sorry for the delay:

ishot15kl8.th.jpg

Where the red circle is, you can find the flare.

Like I said, it's hard to notice it from a still frame, but it bothered me when i saw it, and I want to know how to avoid these.

I'm not entirely positive, due to small size and low resolution, but it appears to be coming from that ceiling lamp to the right of your actress.

I don't know if, in this instance it is possible not to have some sort of flare with a light ficture being photographed directly on camera. A matte box won't help.

It's just as with photographing candles, newer lenses have better anti-reflection coatings, but even they aren't perfect. You cannot eliminate flare altogether, and this flare looks to be mild and unavoidable.

I'm not entirely positive, due to small size and low resolution

Click the photo and it will take you to a larger photo and if you click that one I was able to view it full screen and then able to zoom in by click on it a third time.

My guess would be the instrument that is giving her the edge... the flare it's self is your clue, it looks like the light is inline with the door from the camera. Probably peeked into your matte box and wasn't caught by the grips or your op.

Click the photo and it will take you to a larger photo and if you click that one I was able to view it full screen and then able to zoom in by click on it a third time.

My guess would be the instrument that is giving her the edge... the flare it's self is your clue, it looks like the light is inline with the door from the camera. Probably peeked into your matte box and wasn't caught by the grips or your op.

I did click on it. It's *still small* :P

I also said the same thing about the light, I think. You're talking about the dome light, right? I guess it could be another light off frame or out of the composition, the "motivated" light, if you will. But there appears to be a ceiling in the shot, so where would the light be?

I also said the same thing about the light, I think. You're talking about the dome light, right? I guess it could be another light off frame or out of the composition, the "motivated" light, if you will. But there appears to be a ceiling in the shot, so where would the light be?

Nope. I'm speaking about a source that could possibly be just over the plant and the red banister giving our edge to the actor from the left. The ceiling is in the upstage of the frame but is also great to c-clap onto with the rafters exposed, lending itself to easy rigging just above frame.

How 'bout it Jamie? anything in the zone?

in my opinion there is a source just over the flare that is in line with the camera gate to produce a reflection.

it happened to me once that I had lots of obvious flares exactly under the light sources, staying with them as I was panning, with a clip-on mattebox on; they only appeared on weird angles above the frame, not when the lamp was in shot, and I could not see them in the viewfinder.

I found out later that in camera the black matte paint around the film gate was a bit scrachted.

I had to shoot again about one third of a short, one month later, when everibody was available.

Highly doubt it's from that hanging light above the table. It's definitely from her key source which is a little less than 3/4, coming from the frame top left. You can tell by the shadows that the light's direction is just about where the flare is.

And it looks like a wider lens, so either a lenser would have been in the shot, or they just simply were moving too quickly to take care of it.