16mm short clip

Anthony Schilling

• Premium Member

Anthony,

Nice work. I didn't look at your signature before viewing the footage and when I saw the first clip I said to myself, "That's the Pacific Northwest." And then Powell's confirmed it.

Did Jake at Downstream transfer that footage for you? He has done some really nice transfers for me over the years. That's one of the things I'm really gonna miss now that I'm back in Chicago.

The picture of the farmhouse, or the barn, out in the middle of the field, what film stock was that? And did you make the colors more vibrant in post? It looked like it almost glowed.

Very nice. Shows what one can do with a Bolex and some talent.

Best,

-Tim

Thanks! Yes Jake at Downstream did the transfer, nice guy and good colorist. They have a Spirit telecine and Davinci color correction. The old barn is ekta 100D and a few other shots. I'm really happy with the 100T and 50D negatives... I haven't shot much 16mm on the lower speed stocks. I exposed them about a half stop over for some density and increased the saturation a tad in post. Rendered an mpeg2 version for vimeo... but the avi and originals don't have the interlacing.

• 1 month later...
Here's some recent stuff I edited together. Stocks used are 7201 50D, 7285 100D, 7212 100T. Shot with my Bolex Rex4, and transfer on Spirit telecine to digibeta, dubbed to mini DV.

http://www.vimeo.com/2936691

I gotta say I really APPRECIATED looking at your work. I'm new in this field and this forum, but typically I find it daunting and discouraging to look at reels or samples since there always seems to be that 'something missing' (or something used too much). Your piece didn't have any of that. So thanks for the inspiration.